Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-08-05, 06:37 AM   #1
Simon
That which does not kill us, will try, try again.

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
Happy Hump Day (follows Fall Off the Wall Day)

Good morning world

I had some unplanned interruptions take over the day yesterday, and it's probably going to take a few days for things to return to the usual calm state here.

Yesterday I was walking around in here, talking with someone on the phone. I wandered into the kitchen and was just starting to walk back out when a big double cabinet detached from the wall, slammed down onto the sink, then tipped over and crashed onto the kitchen floor (missing me by about a foot).

It was the cabinet with most of my dishes, glasses and serving plates, so there was a lot of broken glass and plates all over the floor, plus the pieces from the destroyed cabinet.

Seems there's a roof leak somewhere and the water had come down behind the cabinet, over time eroding away enough of it that it basically just came apart. So the cabinets on that wall need to be replaced, the drywall behind it replaced, and the remaining wall space treated from black mold. But first the roof leak has to be found and fixed so the work inside isn't destroyed by the next big rain (and it's the rainy season here).

Oh, and after cleaning the kitchen and throwing out all the broken glasses, plates and the trashed cabinet, I washed the counter around the sink and the few things that hadn't broken in the fall. It was about then that I noticed I was creating a puddle on the floor, and discovered that cabinet had hit the sink hard enough to push the drain pipe down an inch or so, just enough to bend one of the pipes feeding into it and causing it to begin leaking at a joint.

So... roof leak to be found and repaired, plumbing repairs to be done, drywall cut out and replaced, mold treated, cabinets replaced. And of course the fun of having to shop for new dinnerware, glasses, a variety of serving plates, bowls, etc.

Anyway, that was how my day shaped up yesterday.

Hope yours was better.