Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-07-15, 01:10 PM   #1
RedCherry
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Send a message via ICQ to RedCherry
Anyone know a php code/script to track sales I could use on AVS sites?

I wish I could write php from scratch, but I'm looking for a simple code I could put in tgp galleries for instance. The code would come from the page http://www.myavssite.com/index.php?tgpgallery1 and I could track it so if I look in my referring stats for the site, instead of the sale coming from just the join page, it would show it coming from tgpgallery1.php page or join.php?tgpgallery1 something like that.

Since I can't alter the way they track, If I can just have it show my join page as a unique page for every traffic source (since it does show the url of where the sales come from) then I'd know at least with the traffic I send, what works.

Could anyone program a snipped that would do this for me? I'd pay for it. Or know of some kind of software that would do this? I've tried searching for affiliate tracking software, stuff like that, but most of it tracks through to after the sale and won't help me.
RedCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 02:05 PM   #2
Ronzo
WHO IS FONZY!?! Don't they teach you anything at school?

If I've got you right and understand your goal, I simply use statcounter.com and their javascript to track that information. By the way, the link in your post wasn't working when I read it.
Ronzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 02:15 PM   #3
cd34
a.k.a. Sparky

I'm not 100% sure on what you're asking, but, it seems like you want to take that tgpgallery1 and track it through to resulting pages?

modifying your href= would probably take care of that:

Code:
<a href="page2.php?<?php echo $QUERY_STRING;?>">
I don't know if you could do it with auto_append_file, but, you might be able to use auto_prepend_file with an obstart, capture the displayed page, then rewrite the urls on the fly. I wouldn't want to do that on a high traffic site.

It would be trivial to do substitutions with mod_perl or mod_python. A filter mod would allow you to process and pass the query string automatically. Might require some fancy coding to correctly detect href's without parsing the page tree, or, if you coded your links with some simple identifier, i.e. every link was .php?"> you could search for that string occurrence and replace the .php?"> with .php?QUERY_STRING">
Old 2008-07-16, 06:48 AM   #4
cd34
a.k.a. Sparky

Just out of curiosity, rather than making it extremely difficult, do you have to add to the end of the url?

If you could do something like

http://site.com/identifier/page.php -- you could use a mod_rewrite to strip out the identifier. A simple method to do so would be to use something like an old webserver used to use called prestates -- http://site.com/(blah)/page.php, the mod_rewrite would just strip out the (blah) portion and ignore it. Your html would need to be made so that it was all relative, i.e. no <a href="/site.html"> but rather <a href="site.html">

If that would work, it wouldn't require any modifications to your files on the fly and would be very quick.
Old 2008-07-16, 05:14 PM   #5
RedCherry
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Send a message via ICQ to RedCherry
I actually ended up doing something like this, using a code snippet I found. It basically captures a variable I called p, and then passes it along in a query string like you said. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd34 View Post
I'm not 100% sure on what you're asking, but, it seems like you want to take that tgpgallery1 and track it through to resulting pages?

modifying your href= would probably take care of that:

Code:
<a href="page2.php?<?php echo $QUERY_STRING;?>">
I don't know if you could do it with auto_append_file, but, you might be able to use auto_prepend_file with an obstart, capture the displayed page, then rewrite the urls on the fly. I wouldn't want to do that on a high traffic site.

It would be trivial to do substitutions with mod_perl or mod_python. A filter mod would allow you to process and pass the query string automatically. Might require some fancy coding to correctly detect href's without parsing the page tree, or, if you coded your links with some simple identifier, i.e. every link was .php?"> you could search for that string occurrence and replace the .php?"> with .php?QUERY_STRING">
RedCherry is offline   Reply With Quote