Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Programming & Scripting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-12-26, 08:27 AM   #1
RamCharger
Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!

Angry blocking by referer?

Hello all,

I've got a question that I'm hoping someone maybe has an answer on. I'm running a TGP with Apache and some toolbox is dropping a crap load of worthless traffic on me. They're pretty much using every proxy on the internet and ePower Trader has long since suspended trading with them, but someone hasn't yet figured out to knock off the bull. It really doesn't affect me anymore than flooding my logs with useless idiocy since my traffic is paid for on an unmetered plan, but I'm tired of seeing a never ending parade of traffic from open proxies in third world countries when I'm trying to figure out how my site is doing.

I'm now considering just flat out banning all traffic sent my direction with a referer from this moron (I'd send it to goatse, but offending scripts isn't possible :>), but was wondering if someone could tell me how to accomplish this with my comus based set up. The way my site is presently setup people are presented with content as soon as they enter (they're right in the comus site without having to click through anything).

My only guess as to how to do this otherwise (pending someone knows how to do this via htaccess or comus) is to create a php page that people have to click through before before actually getting to the content and I can put some code in it to eval the referer and bounce the traffic coming my direction from this tool. It's not how I wanted to run things (I'm rather fond of how things presently work), but there's always someone out there ready to ruin it for everyone isn't there.
Old 2006-12-26, 09:41 AM   #2
RamCharger
Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!

Nevermind. I found the answer in this post: http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/...ad.php?t=36450