Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-10-03, 02:20 PM   #1
JayDeeZee
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

Send a message via ICQ to JayDeeZee
I'm still picking rust out of my nose.

I attempted to do some body work in the bed of my new truck last weekend.|badidea|

I now know why they charge so much!

I used the grinder for 6 hrs. 6 hours of inhaling rust dust!
Maybe I should have worn a mask.....Naw, masks are for pussies

The truck looks sweet now! It's now all pimped out, lowered, tinted and rust free.

I'm going to attempt putting in my own stereo this weekend.
Old 2006-10-04, 03:12 PM   #2
Mr Exotic
rifuckingdiculous

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Exotic Send a message via AIM to Mr Exotic
Hahaha, been there done that man. I personally hate to spend more money then I have to on vehicles, so our spare vehicle is an older Oldsmobile (for some reason I love driving those old big boats) and with it being older and fully mechanical I can usually do most the work on it myself (with some help from my brother sometimes). I also have a '70 Ford project truck that once I get the brakes redone I am gonna fully redo the body on, I am sure I am gonna have lots of fun with that. I once painted my old truck blue and blew blue snot for over a week
Old 2006-10-04, 03:53 PM   #3
JayDeeZee
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

I love the big boats too. I just scrapped my 85 caprice classic. That thing was a boat. It guzzeled so much gas that every time I fired it up, we had to send another soldier of to Iraq. lol

I've still got some work to do on the Mini Truck. Some asshole tried to jack it up under the rocker panel. It left me with a hole the sized of my fist. I've got to learn how to patch that up. Fiberglass or something? I dunno, I've got to read up on it.
Old 2006-10-05, 09:42 AM   #4
spacemanspiff
Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Send a message via ICQ to spacemanspiff
Jay, look into doing those "big" repairs with metal, ie welding in body panels. It's not as hard or as expensive as you think. I used to pile on the bondo until a professional body man showed me the right way, and it really got to be more fun (and easier) after that. I owned a German car repair shop, and we had to do those cars right. I had a lot more fun hanging out in the body shop than the front office.

Oh, and how about some pics?
Old 2006-10-05, 10:01 AM   #5
JayDeeZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
Jay, look into doing those "big" repairs with metal, ie welding in body panels. It's not as hard or as expensive as you think. I used to pile on the bondo until a professional body man showed me the right way, and it really got to be more fun (and easier) after that. I owned a German car repair shop, and we had to do those cars right. I had a lot more fun hanging out in the body shop than the front office.

Oh, and how about some pics?
Pics?...LOL...My Camera went for a "swim" this summer . I've been spending extra cash on the Tuck lately.
I'll see if I can borrow a camera, and get some pics this weekend.

Still got so much to do....Stereo, undercoating, Wheel wells.....

To patch the holes in the bed, I just used a rivet gun and some sheet metal. It's just a truck bed, doesn't have to be perfect, right!

Welding! Sounds fun! What do you do about the seams? Bang them in then bodo?
Old 2006-10-05, 10:34 AM   #6
spacemanspiff

Quote:
Welding! Sounds fun! What do you do about the seams? Bang them in then bodo?
Pretty much. With a little practice you can make a really nice weld with a mig welder. I got a small one from Home Depot that works with or without the shielding gas. Just make the weld, grind it smooth, tap down the high spots and lay on a thin coat of bonbo.

To cut the pieces, I usually lay the new piece over the old one, line it up and clamp it in place, then cut both at once with a cut-off wheel on a die grinder. That way the edges match.
Old 2006-10-05, 10:46 AM   #7
JayDeeZee

Sounds easy, but, since the rocker panel is the problem. I don't have much room to work with. It's only about 3.5 inches wide. It really makes it hard to clamp too.

Someone said something about fiber glassing it....Or maybe they said fiber blasting it?
Old 2006-10-05, 02:28 PM   #8
spacemanspiff

Yeah, you can glass it if it's not to large of a hole. There's also something called "Kitty Hair" that may work. It's like bondo with long fibers added. Sometimes it's good for building up areas.

Here's a complete rocker panel replacement that looks pretty easy.

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/b..._panel_repair/

They're making their own panel but you can usually order them online really cheap.

Damn, I haven't done any restoration work in years. This is kind of giving me the fever.

Last edited by spacemanspiff; 2006-10-05 at 02:31 PM..
spacemanspiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 02:44 PM   #9
JayDeeZee

SpaceManSpiff! You are my saviour! I've been hunting for a site like that for days!

I've checked a few places online. The were about $50, but almost $100 for shipping!

Thanks dude!

That doesn't look too hard.....May be difficult to pull off in the driveway...especially with winter coming
Old 2006-10-05, 04:09 PM   #10
spacemanspiff

One more thing. Of you're going to replace welded body panels, get yourself a step bit

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7292_200307292

Best thing for drilling out spot welds.
Old 2006-10-05, 04:42 PM   #11
JayDeeZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
One more thing. Of you're going to replace welded body panels, get yourself a step bit

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7292_200307292

Best thing for drilling out spot welds.
LOL....Do you have any Idea how many drill bits I went through drilling the holes for the rivets? about 5!