Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Blogs and Blogging (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My first blog. Any tips? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=49354)

Rick Diculous 2008-10-04 01:18 AM

My first blog. Any tips?

I just set up my first blog. It's a simple teen blog. Doesn't have alot of content but I'm working on it. I place some banners here and there, some content and have some trades going on. Set up is not completely finished. I might change some banner spots, add more link categories, thumbs in the side bars, etc...

I know the design is very simple. I will change the header to make it more appealing.

I'd like to know what you guys think of it and what I should add/change to it

www.sexcravedteenies.com

Thanks

LD 2008-10-04 07:42 AM

Layout looks very good, but that Fling IM thing is really annoying imo.

walrus 2008-10-04 05:51 PM

I thought the chances of getting more input would be improved here so I moved you.

Keep working on it. The basics are there.

A.J. Angel 2008-10-04 08:08 PM

The blog looks simple but neat in my opinion. There are potentials but the Fling IM popping every few seconds is rather annoying. If you can limit it to once when opening your site only, that'd be better honestly! Afterwards, just let it pop like every minute.

Rick Diculous 2008-10-04 08:40 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll set for once every minute. Didn't really check out how many times it showed when I put the coed in. But you guys are right, it is rather anoying

Useless 2008-10-05 10:58 AM

Do you have to leave the links for Max Banner Ads up there? If so, I'd find another way of displaying banners. For me, that would be unacceptably intrusive.

You have three competing banners, all above the fold and all immediately adjacent to one another on every page view. It seems like overkill, very banner farm-ish. Spread them out.

Your posts could use some more text. They're very, very brief. Blogs don't gain SE traffic just because they're using a blogging platform. You need text content.

The name/domain is grammatically incorrect, by the way.

Rick Diculous 2008-10-05 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Warrior (Post 423706)
Do you have to leave the links for Max Banner Ads up there? If so, I'd find another way of displaying banners. For me, that would be unacceptably intrusive.

You have three competing banners, all above the fold and all immediately adjacent to one another on every page view. It seems like overkill, very banner farm-ish. Spread them out.

Your posts could use some more text. They're very, very brief. Blogs don't gain SE traffic just because they're using a blogging platform. You need text content.

The name/domain is grammatically incorrect, by the way.

I'm playing around with that max banner pluggin. the free version has the link under the banners and the paid one doesn't.

I'll try to make longer texts. Thanks for the tip.

As for the name/domain, how is it grammatically incorrect?

Useless 2008-10-05 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Diculous (Post 423747)
As for the name/domain, how is it grammatically incorrect?

'Craved' is past tense. It should be sex craving teenies. In its current form, it's sort of saying that the teens had craved sex, but no longer do.

Rick Diculous 2008-10-05 05:26 PM

Well, I thought the name sounded nice and it has "sex" and "teenies" in it.

Sex craved seems to be a widely used expression

Useless 2008-10-05 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Diculous (Post 423749)
Sex craved seems to be a widely used expression

That doesn't make it grammatically correct. :) I'd bet it's so widely used because it sounds like 'sex crazed' and, generally speaking, people are idiots. Sex crazed makes sense. Sex craved does not.

I'm not telling you to dump the name, I'm just saying that things like that trip me up. It's not going to hurt your business to have me sitting hear wondering why those teens no longer crave sex whenever I see the domain.

Beaver Bob 2008-10-06 12:23 AM

I would shoot for making your entries 4 to 6 sentences (longer if you can). Otherwise it looks nice and clean.

J. Falcon - ACW 2008-10-06 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Warrior (Post 423748)
'Craved' is past tense. It should be sex craving teenies. In its current form, it's sort of saying that the teens had craved sex, but no longer do.

I think the name is fine and sounds much better than sexcravingteens.com

Useless 2008-10-06 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Falcon - ACW (Post 423845)
I think the name is fine and sounds much better than sexcravingteens.com

Do ya?

NY Jester 2008-10-06 03:17 PM

I think its a good looking blog...and agree that your posts should be a bit longer. And as far as the name...do what works for you, although it is grammatically incorrect. But it could be pused as because of the action in each post that they were cravng sex, but since have fulfilled the need for it. Bottom line is dont worry about the small stuff, work on the post lengths and keep the quality coming.

KeepUpWithJoan 2008-10-06 06:02 PM

I agree with adding some more text, otherwise the layout is great.

Ecchi22 2008-10-06 09:59 PM

I'd redesign the header first and also put some text there.. Also, you need more meta tags.

J. Falcon - ACW 2008-10-06 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Warrior (Post 423869)
Do ya?

Yes, sir.

And I'm not just anybody. |thumb

Element115 2008-10-07 04:38 AM

You definitely need more text. Just a slight little nitpick here, but you should consider centering your banners in the sidebars. You can do that by using the following syntax
banner html here
. I just think it looks better that way, but it's personal preference of course. Fling.com is WAY over promoted. You could utilize that space better by pushing another sponsor in my opinion.

Useless 2008-10-07 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Falcon - ACW (Post 423948)
Yes, sir.

Well, good for you. |thumb

At least we have a content seller's opinion on that now. Don't bother offering any real advice outside what has already been stated. That would be too much to ask.

Simon 2008-10-07 07:30 AM

Quote:

...you should consider centering your banners in the sidebars. You can do that by using the following syntax
banner html here
Since most blog templates are coded in xhtml you may want to read the pages below. The
tag has been deprecated since html 4.01 and isn't something you want to use if you want your site to validate as having well-coded pages.

You need to use a

Rick Diculous 2008-10-07 11:35 AM

Thanks for all the tips
I'm using a text widget for the side bar banners. tried centering them but it didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong.As for fling, you guys are right, way over used. Wich do you guys suggest? AFF ? Neon Dollars?

J. Falcon - ACW 2008-10-07 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Warrior (Post 423988)

At least we have a content seller's opinion on that now. Don't bother offering any real advice outside what has already been stated. That would be too much to ask.

I'm not a content seller.
I am a copywriter though, these are my sites: Adult Copywriters and Falcon Freelance

I like the blog, my designer actually made this theme for Rick. I agree that he does need longer, better blog posts. For a first blog, it's not bad at all.

Element115 2008-10-07 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 423997)
Since most blog templates are coded in xhtml you may want to read the pages below. The
tag has been deprecated since html 4.01 and isn't something you want to use if you want your site to validate as having well-coded pages.

You need to use a
Seems to work just fine on my blogs and renders properly in IE and FF |huh

Element115 2008-10-07 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Warrior (Post 423988)

I'm just curious. Do you actually have to feed your mangina or does it does it grow with each post you make?

Simon 2008-10-07 01:12 PM

Quote:

Seems to work just fine on my blogs and renders properly in IE and FF
Yes, using the old-style CENTER tags may "work" (a lot of things 'work') but it doesn't validate unless you're using an older DOCTYPE, pre HTML 4.01. Actually I think on some strict doctypes it won't even work, but you can get by on the transitional ones. If you don't care if your pages validate to your doctype, and if don't believe it has any effect on anything today and won't hurt you in the future, then you certainly should do whatever works for you.

--
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake, we must not interrupt him too soon." -- General George S. Patton, Jr.