Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-06-12, 08:23 PM   #1
LindaMight
Oh! I haven't changed since high school and suddenly I am uncool

Send a message via ICQ to LindaMight Send a message via AIM to LindaMight Send a message via Yahoo to LindaMight
Data management system?

Somewhere along the way I have been advised to have a database management system to do all of my updates. I do my weekly updates manually. I guess I am more behind the times than I realized. But, stupid questions coming from a two person adult site....what the heck does this type of system do and does everyone use them?

Thanks!
Linda
Old 2005-06-13, 08:50 AM   #2
mrMagoo
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!

Send a message via Yahoo to mrMagoo
They may be talking about a Content Management System.

These systems typically index your content into a database on your server allowing you to categorize it and so on. You can then find content by categories as you need it, ie for updates, generating free sites, avs, tgp, and so on.

You may also be able to use the system to generate updates to the content area of your paysite automatically by specifying on which date you want a particular set added.

Most of these systems I've seen are kind of expensive but if you run multiple pay sites they could certainly be a good investment. Or if you spend alot of time doing your updates.

I haven't purchased any of the ones for sale as I've written my own that is customized for my particular situation.

You can check page for some listings of these systems:

http://www.greenguysboard.com/resources/misc.html

Hope this helps.

|cool|
mrMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-13, 12:48 PM   #3
LindaMight
Oh! I haven't changed since high school and suddenly I am uncool

Send a message via ICQ to LindaMight Send a message via AIM to LindaMight Send a message via Yahoo to LindaMight
Thanks for the information. It doesn't seem like anything I need. I only have one site and update it once a week. Been doing it manually for 6 years and since I work at the computer a lot for my "real job"....seems that I can still find the time to update. Thanks again.

Linda
Old 2005-06-13, 03:58 PM   #4
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
Yeah, you may be right about that Linda. If you're running a small personal site a CMS may not be necessary. Once installed, it would make updates a breeze, but if you don't mind doing your updates manually it's no big deal to not have one. Just balance the cost against the pro's and con's and go from there.
Old 2005-06-13, 11:17 PM   #5
terry
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Send a message via ICQ to terry
Useless Warrior isnt so useless.. His advice is top notch. You probably have your routine down to an art so using a CMS would mean making changes to your site and to your routine which in turn would mean learning curve.. and headaches, etc. I use SiteDepth on all my sites and it makes everything so much easier.
Good luck.
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-14, 11:38 AM   #6
juggernaut

Location: Central Jersey! If I was rich and powerful I would dress as my avatar does.
Send a message via Yahoo to juggernaut
You might want to look into finding some simple scripts also. I dont know your situation as far as your OS is concerned but either way there are plenty of things that can make your manual process just a little easier. Writing scripts to create directories, move files, copy files, write files etc are all out there. Look around it may take a 8 hour day and be able to drop it down to a 4 or 6 hour day for you.
juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote