Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2003-04-04, 03:22 PM   #26
Fuseblown
If something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak English

There are tons of mailing lists and such out there for Wireless ISP's where you can learn a ton about wireless networks and how they work. Those are probably the best source of information out there. It's hard to build a wireless broadband resource site and expect to cover everything, so most of the info. you will find is going to be in mailing lists where questions can be answered as they come up.

A couple of resources off-hand:
ISP Planet's Fixed Wireless How-To
802.11 Planet
ISP-Wireless Mailing List (Check out the archives here, although it is VERY massive - thousands of messages go through here on a weekly basis)

Most of what you'll find is going to be commercial unfortunately...everything we had to learn we basically had to sit down with the actual equipment and learn it, although the mailing list above was always a great help to us. Though the commercial sites can have a lot of good information on how their products work, which can give you an idea of how things work in general.

It's a very interesting business, especially if you're into technology and it's still relatively "new" technology, yet has been around for a while. It's just now starting to become more widespread as private ISP's are beginning to get sick of regulations and the monopolization from local and national phone and cable providers. Using wireless, we never had to deal with those companies and could deploy a competitive service VERY cheap and much faster than they ever could.

:cool:
Old 2003-04-04, 04:02 PM   #27
amadman
I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, been over the edge for yonks....

Great thanks for the info and links Fuseblown.

Looks like I have some reading to do

Thanks again! :adore:
amadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-04-04, 04:08 PM   #28
Fuseblown

No problem! From the mailing list archives, you should be able to find some more URL's and such to check out...I didn't have much of a bookmarks list for wireless stuff. Most of the info. I got was from the list and/or from conventions and training that I attended.

Enjoy!
Old 2003-04-04, 05:05 PM   #29
Jim

Seeing this talk about connections...I have to tell you. I also live in the sticks. I am just really lucky that I have the cable company that I do.

About 4 years ago, I ordered a T1 line...before cable modems were available. Forget the fact that it cost $5,000/month but it also took 6 months to get installed. I could actually watch the progress of the installation by going to the town next to ours and watch them run my separate wire from there to here daily. They moved at about 3 telephone poles/day.

Then, cable modems came around and I told the phone company with their $5k/month bill to shove it up their asses.
Old 2003-04-04, 10:21 PM   #30
Fuseblown

T1's are so cheap nowadays...I remember the days of $5,000/month though as well...had an ISP back in '96...we paid about $1,500 for a 56k Fractional T1 line to get started in the dial-up biz, lol.

Where I'm at now, we had T1 lines for about $775/month and as cheap as $500/month.. of course it helped that we were connected directly to the local fiber network that went between all of the phone companies in the area (we were in an old office building of one of the small telephone companies in the area), so we didn't have local loop fees to worry about, which is what makes those prices so high in the first place.

Some of the wireless gear out there can push over 54mbps to a single connection, wish I had THAT kind of connection to my house right now.
Old 2003-04-05, 05:44 AM   #31
Jim

T1s are still expensive here...
I have no idea why. We also have DSL but it worked for 10 mins in the last 4 months.
Old 2003-04-05, 05:59 AM   #32
Fuseblown

Being in the sticks probably isn't helping the cost of a T1 much. Also, if you were checking on prices to a residential location, then it won't be as cheap as a commercial location.

I wish I had a 6meg option without having to get a fractional T3 or 4 bound T1's.
Old 2003-04-05, 11:07 AM   #33
Rhonda
Internet! Is that thing still around?

We live in the woods too and only have phone lines that can handle 26400!

Direcway 2 way saved my sanity!
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote