Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > I'm Looking For.......
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-12-19, 02:46 PM   #1
KG Gary
I can now put whatever I want in this space

Looking for a host that can handle listings at The Hun - but not Colo-Cation!

Apologies if there's a post lurking somewhere offering exactly what I need - I searched quite a lot but couldn't find an answer.

I'm currently hosting with Colo-cation, who are an absolutely incredible company that I'm not planning on moving away from at all.
Trouble is, as a seperate project to my usual freesite building, I'm also having some nice success with listings at The Hun, and as I'm sure everyone knows it follows that my bandwidth-burning is rather large.
I have a 300GB/month package at Colo-cation, which is awesome and my sites are fast and robust, but those Hun listings are going to start costing me in overages if I don't find a seperate hosting package for Hun listings.
Any ideas on hosts that can handle being slammed now and then by The Hun? Or any other possible solutions to my rather splendid "problem"?
I'm currently looking at http://www.canaca.com/virtual.html (the silver package looks good),and http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html (the level 1 package looks great),but are these hosts going to give me fast sites that won't crash for that low priced bandwidth?
I just need bandwidth and speed without any fancy frills, solely to use for galleries submitted to The Hun.
Any help and advice is appreciated, as always.
KG Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 03:24 PM   #2
kitty_kate
Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like women. You just have to read the manual and press the right button

Send a message via ICQ to kitty_kate
I host at dreamhost, got the level 3 package. Cheap, and quite stable I may say. I have alertra.com and betterbeup.com keeping an extra eye on my domain and I can say the downtime is acceptable for what I've paid.

I know they are overselling, but last month I burned 2TB+ of traffic (some thehun listings, some worldsex + al4a listing of a buddy that has some domain hosted on my account). I remember I burned in one day almost 300 GB and my sites were still reachable. So, for what I've paid, I'm happy.

If you want, I can give you a 97 USD discount coupon, so do the math and see how much you'll have to pay.

For now they are all I can afford, but as soon as I'll have some extra cash I plan moving my free sites to another host.
Old 2006-12-19, 03:28 PM   #3
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
I'm going to annoy you now.

Maybe you have already, I dont' know, but my advice would be to talk to Chris and see if there's anything he can do. I've been with a lot of hosts - far too many in fact - and you aren't going to find any better, or more secure, than where you're at. I'm not sure it's going to worth your while to move your high-demand domains onto some oversold budget host.
Useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 04:02 PM   #4
KG Gary
I can now put whatever I want in this space

Many thanks for the fast reply and the kind coupon offer, kitty_kate. That was a nice thing to do.

Thanks for the advice, UW. However, I didn't need to take it as Chris just contacted me with a great offer.
I feel like a total asshat for not asking him first, actually.
Problem solved, and I'm now a very happy fool thanks to those great Colo-Cation peeps!
KG Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 03:01 PM   #5
u-Bob
Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!

I recommend you talk to caz or milan from OC3 Networks: 304883574.
Old 2007-01-01, 03:38 PM   #6
Tommy
NYC Boy That Moved To The Island

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy
like 6 years ago i tried the same thing

I was gonna post to a lot of tgps and decided that I should setup another hosting account just for that

fucking stupid

I ended up paying a lot more for the 2 accounts at 2 different company's then if I had just upgraded my original hosting package

and it never turned out to be that much bandwidth
a lot of tgp guys like to brag about how much bandwidth they burn
I guess it makes them feel important

anyway....then I got lazy and stopped submitting and was still paying for the seconded account

if I was you I would just work out something with Chris if you go over your allotted bandwidth he just temporarily moves you up to the next package