Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Blogs and Blogging
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-03-28, 12:10 PM   #1
WickedTemptress
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Send a message via ICQ to WickedTemptress
Social Bookmarking Plugin

I've just added a social bookmarking plugin to my blog called "Social Bookmarks" by Apostolos Dountsis. I think it's a really cool plugin, so I just thought I'd share in case someone else was looking for a good social bookmark plugin.

This one allows you to to have the links both at the end of each post on your blog and on the pages you make for your blog too, if you have those. It also gives you the option to select only to have it on certain pages and not on others.

Also, it gives you the option to hide or not hide the icons and lets you decide how fast the drop down speed loads and which sites you want to include or exclude... And a few other things.

Just thought it might be useful to anyone looking for this sort of plugin
Old 2008-03-28, 03:56 PM   #2
digifan
...and since we know an end will come it makes our living so much fun

Send a message via ICQ to digifan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedTemptress View Post
I've just added a social bookmarking plugin to my blog called "Social Bookmarks" by Apostolos Dountsis. I think it's a really cool plugin, so I just thought I'd share in case someone else was looking for a good social bookmark plugin.

This one allows you to to have the links both at the end of each post on your blog and on the pages you make for your blog too, if you have those. It also gives you the option to select only to have it on certain pages and not on others.

Also, it gives you the option to hide or not hide the icons and lets you decide how fast the drop down speed loads and which sites you want to include or exclude... And a few other things.

Just thought it might be useful to anyone looking for this sort of plugin
Nice.. googled the url which is http://www.dountsis.com/downloads/?cat=2
I am using the one provided by www.addthis.com because it has more options. I's also free.

Webair Rocks
digifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 11:19 AM   #3
ronnie
Wheither you think you can or you think you can't, Your right.

Send a message via ICQ to ronnie
I switched to addthis a while back myself. Mainly because it is very little code on the page. Old one I used added a ton of code to my posts.

The only thing I don't like about addthis is that you have little control over where and how it shows up. Wicked, does the one your talking about add a lot of code? I checked out the link digifan posted (thanks.. digifan), but don't see a example or demo?
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 12:19 PM   #4
WickedTemptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
I switched to addthis a while back myself. Mainly because it is very little code on the page. Old one I used added a ton of code to my posts.

The only thing I don't like about addthis is that you have little control over where and how it shows up. Wicked, does the one your talking about add a lot of code? I checked out the link digifan posted (thanks.. digifan), but don't see a example or demo?
This plugin doesn't add any code to your posts. All you do after you download it is upload the files to the proper place, activate the plugin in WP, and then click on "Options" in your WP admin and you'll see a new "social bookmarks" tab. Just click on the tab to customize all of the settings and it automatically shows up at the end of all your posts and pages(if you have any pages and have it set up to show up on them that is...)

If you want to see an example of what it looks like, you can see it on my blog: http://www.asktemptress.com I have the option to hide the icons turned on, but you can turn this option off if you prefer to have them showing
Old 2008-04-07, 12:19 PM   #5
WickedTemptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by digifan View Post
Nice.. googled the url which is http://www.dountsis.com/downloads/?cat=2
I am using the one provided by www.addthis.com because it has more options. I's also free.
Thanks for posting the link
Old 2008-04-07, 12:33 PM   #6
ronnie

Quote:
This plugin doesn't add any code to your posts. All you do after you download it is upload the files to the proper place, activate the plugin in WP, and then click on "Options" in your WP admin and you'll see a new "social bookmarks" tab. Just click on the tab to customize all of the settings and it automatically shows up at the end of all your posts and pages(if you have any pages and have it set up to show up on them that is...)

If you want to see an example of what it looks like, you can see it on my blog: http://www.asktemptress.com I have the option to hide the icons turned on, but you can turn this option off if you prefer to have them showing
No, see that is the problem, it does add code to your page. Of course it has to to be able to work. If you view source on your posts, you'll see the ton of extra code it adds for all the social sites. Looks like the plug-in I use to use, dropped it because of all the code.

If you view source on your single posts, you have more code than content..

The biggest reason I switched to addthis, just a few lines of JS.
Old 2008-04-07, 01:47 PM   #7
WickedTemptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
No, see that is the problem, it does add code to your page. Of course it has to to be able to work. If you view source on your posts, you'll see the ton of extra code it adds for all the social sites. Looks like the plug-in I use to use, dropped it because of all the code.

If you view source on your single posts, you have more code than content..

The biggest reason I switched to addthis, just a few lines of JS.
Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. For some reason I thought you were talking about code that had to be added manually at the end of each of your posts. I see what you're talking about though.

If I happen to come across something that sounds like what you're looking for, I'll be sure to post it up
Old 2008-04-07, 01:56 PM   #8
HotwivesOnline
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

Send a message via Yahoo to HotwivesOnline
Quote:
Originally Posted by digifan View Post
I like AddThis also. It's easy to get into WordPress, and you can also use it to add this functionality to your Feedburner feeds also.
Old 2008-04-07, 02:00 PM   #9
ronnie

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. For some reason I thought you were talking about code that had to be added manually at the end of each of your posts. I see what you're talking about though.

If I happen to come across something that sounds like what you're looking for, I'll be sure to post it up
I don't know if you can get much less code than addthis, but you never know.. Ya if you ever find something.
Old 2008-04-07, 03:50 PM   #10
Simon
That which does not kill us, will try, try again.

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
Quote:
The only thing I don't like about addthis is that you have little control over where and how it shows up.
Ronnie ... if you're comfortable editing some template files, you can gain some control over the positioning of the AddThis graphic.

What you want to do is wind up with it enclosed in a div tag so you can apply a CSS class or ID to it. Once you have the AddThis code wrapped in a div, you can use CSS positioning, margin and padding to get it where you want.

You'd make the changes in your theme's index.php file. You'll have to get the opening div tag to appear right after the post content. Then the closing div tag is pretty easy. The other option is to edit the widget code in the AddThis plugin file to add the div code there.

HTH
Old 2008-04-07, 05:36 PM   #11
ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Ronnie ... if you're comfortable editing some template files, you can gain some control over the positioning of the AddThis graphic.

What you want to do is wind up with it enclosed in a div tag so you can apply a CSS class or ID to it. Once you have the AddThis code wrapped in a div, you can use CSS positioning, margin and padding to get it where you want.

You'd make the changes in your theme's index.php file. You'll have to get the opening div tag to appear right after the post content. Then the closing div tag is pretty easy. The other option is to edit the widget code in the AddThis plugin file to add the div code there.

HTH
I have no problem editing the files, I do it all the time. Actually seems 99% of theme's are not SEO'ed for one thing, along with a number of other things I usually change.

I finally dove in to fixing it, probably because of this thread. Anyways, you can't edit the theme's index, the changes need to be done in the plug-in file itself, as you mentioned. Your right the plug-in adds the code right after the post "content", so the div needs to be added either in the wordpress code itself or in the plug-in code, the plug-in code is easier..

I can post the change if any one wants it.

To bad addthis doesn't do like some other plug-ins, were they add the div css into the plug-in code for you, would be nice. I know the related plug-in I use does that.
Old 2008-04-07, 06:58 PM   #12
Simon

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
You're right, Ronnie, it's much easier to just add the div tag around the script tags in the plugin code. I thought I could just echo an opening div tag after the code for 'the_content' in the index file (in the same php tag), but that doesn't put the div where I wanted it.

I bet if we mentioned it to the developer, he'd make the change to add a div wrapper. The div tag is already there in the code he gives you to add after each post if you don't want to use the widget. I'll try to remember to make the request.
Old 2008-04-07, 07:34 PM   #13
ronnie

I tried the exact same thing, echo'ing the div tag in the content code... And I thought that should work.

I just added it to the plug-in like you, added the CSS and good to go.

Sounds good, I will go suggest it right now. Maybe if enough people bug them...
Old 2008-04-08, 06:44 AM   #14
Simon

Sounds good.
I did send in a request, using their web form, for that feature after I posted here yesterday. Like you said, if enough people bug them.