Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Newbie Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-11-12, 06:06 PM   #1
HeavenlyCurves
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

video sizes

Hi all,
I've been working on the video content for my new site. I've searched the threads and decided on the H.264 Yes I'm on a Mac. lol No I'm not changing. I like the Windows classic options you all mentioned in a previous thread. etc.

What I'd like to play with is the size of the file. For example. Is ~27 MB too big for an almost 4 minute video in 320 x 240 ? Am I going to get slammed on usage? (Yes Im telling them to download it and not watch as streams)

If so how do I make it smaller? I'm not familiar with what all the options do in my iMovie.

Thanks for the help...
~Angel~
Old 2007-11-12, 06:46 PM   #2
Cleo
Subversive filth of the hedonistic decadent West

Macs suck...

Nice to see another Mac user.

On the paysite that I manage we are now putting the movies small, med, large, giant, plus ipod and iphone.

As far as bandwidth it shouldn't make any difference if your member's download or stream. Some like to stream and some like to download so starting with a few updates ago we started putting links for both as seen in this test template.

We use Episode Pro to encode our movies but it is an expensive program. I've never really used the H.264 export option in iMovie so I don't really know much about it but it should work although I hear it is painfully slow. The biggest issue for us with using the QuickTime export iMovie option is you really can't place a copyright image on the movie with it.

Episode Pro is a fantastic program but like I said very expensive. I saw Stomp on MacInTouch.com this week. It looks like it might be useful but I know nothing about it.

Also Elgato is making a hardware H.264 encoder that I see selling for around a hundred bucks. Haven't used it myself but it looks interesting.

Here is a screen shot of a directory showing file sizes of a 45 minute movie.
Attached Images
File Type: png taylor-dung-act.png (21.8 KB, 160 views)
Cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 08:18 PM   #3
HeavenlyCurves
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

Smile

Thank you Cleo. I'll take a peek.

As far as copyright. iMovie has the ability to place text over the entire video. I have my url very opaque over the bottom of my videos.

I made the black bottom clear and the text lightened to about 30%. Then I simply stretch the text over the whole movie. I was very tickled to be able to do it finally. I need to keep things simple so Im very happy with the iMovie. Just want to get the file sizes down.

Crossing my fingers... ~A~
Old 2007-11-12, 11:03 PM   #4
Cleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyCurves View Post
As far as copyright. iMovie has the ability to place text over the entire video. I have my url very opaque over the bottom of my videos.
It's been a long time since I tried to do a copyright in iMovie so maybe things have changed but when I tried to do it as a filter the maximum duration for a clip was was under three minutes.

I mostly use Final Cut Express (FCE) these days. In FCE you can easily add a copyright since, unlike iMovie, you can have more then one video track so you can place an image or text in a track over the track that holds the movie. I never do it this way since I own Episode Pro but if I didn't this is how I would do it.

FCE has a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it editing is actually easier in FCE then editing in iMovie.
Old 2007-11-13, 12:45 AM   #5
ArtWilliams
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Send a message via ICQ to ArtWilliams
Hi Angel,

I apologize as I have nothing to add to this thread, however, I would like to say a couple of things. One, you're very hot and you put on an A+ cam show and two, I would love if you updated your free hosted galleries a bit more often. I need new galleries for my surfers at http://www.milfgazette.com.

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming". Thanks.

---art
ArtWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 12:53 AM   #6
Cleo

What is the URL of the affiliate tour?
Old 2007-11-13, 01:13 AM   #7
Toby
Lonewolf Internet Sales

Send a message via ICQ to Toby
Leak free affiliate tour http://www.heavenlycurves.com/index1.htm
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 12:12 PM   #8
HeavenlyCurves

Hi Art, Pleased to meet you. lol Thank you for the compliments and I'll pass it on to Cozy. He handles everything HC.
Kisses ~A~

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwilliams View Post
Hi Angel,

I apologize as I have nothing to add to this thread, however, I would like to say a couple of things. One, you're very hot and you put on an A+ cam show and two, I would love if you updated your free hosted galleries a bit more often. I need new galleries for my surfers at http://www.milfgazette.com.

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming". Thanks.

---art
Old 2007-11-13, 12:13 PM   #9
HeavenlyCurves

Thank you Toby XOXOXOXOX
~A~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Old 2007-11-13, 03:34 PM   #10
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
I typically don't fall all over myself when talking to women on a webmaster board, or in person for that matter, but Angel has the second sexiest avatar I've seen. Mine, being the first sexiest.

I have nothing to add to the thread's topic.