Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Link Lists & Getting Listed
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-01-19, 02:16 AM   #1
Agent
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

LL software suggestions?

I know this has been asked before, but I haven't seen it asked in a while...

What LL software do you guys use? My first LL was built by myself in PHP and that was its problem - I didn't know what sort of managment occured with a LL and my PHP skills at the time were limited. So I built it, then it collapsed on itself. My blacklist became a scrap of paper with names and emails of potential shitheads scribbled on it.

I'm considering running my own LL sometime after I get my TGP going (whenever I write it.) but I don't want to worry about designing and implementing the LL. I just want to worry about filling it with good links and content. I'd like to know what you guys use.

What packages exist out there? PHP or Perl with Mysql DB? Price? Good experiences, bad?

I want one that allow partner accounts (there's no way I'm dealing with an open submit this time around) and has a blacklist. And customizable templates so I can have full control over the site's look.

I would like to be able to set it up myself if possible.
Old 2006-01-19, 07:30 AM   #2
HC-Majick
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Send a message via ICQ to HC-Majick
Check out DragonList. It does/has everything you've mentioned your looking for. A few people here on the board use it.
Old 2006-01-19, 08:23 AM   #3
Xeno
Do you want the job done right, or do you want it done fast?

I'd love to give you an answer as "Use product A" over product B, or C..etc. It took me 2 years to finally find the right one for my link directory. But what it comes down to is some things to think about:
  1. How serious are you with the establishment of a LL?
  2. Are you planning to have a Link List or a directory?
  3. Are there specific features you "MUST" have?
  4. Do you have a budget set in place?
  5. How much time each day do you have to put towards this project?
  6. Is this a "long-term" project as in years?
  7. Do you want easy templates to modify to your design?
  8. What is your hosting server preference...linux or Windows?
  9. Are there any features you want available for users?
  10. How strong are your html, php, or other skills?
  11. Will you be integrating anything into your LL that isn't part of the script?
  12. What is your Time frame to get something in place?

I've personally used several scripts out there and there are a ton of them (paid and free). Here is something to think about...dont' sacrifice your site and business by opting in for something just because its free or low cost. Your business is important and you do not want a low quality script to jeopardize all your hard work. You want something that has been around for a long time that is tried and true and hopefully with a programming team that put good thought into their development of it to create strong stability. Not only that, you want something that has good support for it...this is so critical. If you visit a site that offers one, look for a support forum and read what issues previous users have posted and see if they've been solved by the support team. Even do searches on the net for the script with the name of a script you have found (or even here at GG&Jim).

If you look in past posts in the forums, you will probably see a few names show up more than others like xpowerlinks, gossamer-threads Links SQL, and a couple others I can't think of at the moment. For myself, I decided to go with a mainstream directory script from focalmedia.net called PowerSeek SQL.

There's lots more I can say, but this is a start...I know others will add to this or give direct suggestions of ones to seek out.

laters
Old 2006-01-19, 09:13 AM   #4
HarryM
No offence Apu, but when they were handing out religions you must have been out taking a whizz

Send a message via ICQ to HarryM
If i was to buy a link script now i'd get gossamer links sql.
But with a lot of modding and use of server side includes you can make something good out of links2 and that only costs $100