Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Newbie Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2004-09-14, 09:20 PM   #1
Dagwolf
They have the Internet on computers, now?

Send a message via ICQ to Dagwolf
Don't turn down the grunt work!

Every once in a while, someone will be looking for help with tedious, boring work such as text writing (I'm not talking about stories, I mean copying and editing), submissions assistance, gallery building, html editing or whatever.

Most of us want to work for ourselves and don't really want to answer to someone else... but by taking on this work you can learn how the business operates, what other people are doing to sell their product, and most importantly, make vital business contacts.

So next time you see someone asking for a gallery submitter for a few bucks an hour... think about doing it. Not just for the money, but for the education and the networking opportunity.

It's also a chance to enhance your reputation as a trustworthy, hard-working and reliable business associate.
Old 2004-09-14, 09:30 PM   #2
Dagwolf
They have the Internet on computers, now?

Send a message via ICQ to Dagwolf
Oh, and a couple more things...

Be careful when working for someone you don't know. Ask people you do know about their reputation.

Ask for partial payment up front; or, optimally, send the work in reasonable segments. If you're doing an entire week's work, ask if you can send in each day's work and be paid via epassporte.

This protects you and the person who's paying you; if there's a disagreement or someone doesn't hold up their end, neither of you has as much to lose.

If the webmaster is unknown to you and everyone else, has a free email address (hotmail, yahoo, etc) AND does not have a form of instant payment, be extremely wary.

I don't advise using Paypal for any adult-related work. You run the risk of losing your account, and they reportedly will soon levy fines on anyone who violates their TOS.
Old 2004-09-15, 02:32 PM   #3
stuveltje
Live and learn. And take very careful notes!

Send a message via ICQ to stuveltje
Nice advice, i think what is important here is honest and trust. you have to build some reputation in bizz and know people, you can help people for months and still get backstabbed by those same people, its just a bit hard if you cant speak to people face to face to see with whom your dealing with.......specially when you are at the other side of the world.
stuveltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-15, 03:00 PM   #4
Klove
Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like women. You just have to read the manual and press the right button

Send a message via ICQ to Klove
My full time job is a sales rep, and I find that even with the customers and deal with me face to face, they would backstab me if they have a chance. It doesnt matter if its an online world or in person, give the person a chance to backstab ya, and about half of the time they will.
Klove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-15, 03:06 PM   #5
stuveltje
Live and learn. And take very careful notes!

Send a message via ICQ to stuveltje
Quote:
give the person a chance to backstab ya, and about half of the time they will.
yes and i know that all to well, still i prefer face to face or i must known the person for awhile.
stuveltje is offline   Reply With Quote