Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Products and/or Services Offered
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-07-16, 02:16 PM   #1
cthulhu_waves
Banned

[SPAM] Advantages and disadvantages of using an open source or paid CMS

This was part of the speech that was presented in the recently concluded Cybernet 2010 entitled Content Management Systems – Lecture Cybernet – SFO

Advantages of using an open source program:

i) It is completely free
ii) The programming code is open – which means you can hire a programmer to fully customize it anyway you want. Usually finding programmers for open source programmers is also quite easy and a lot less expensive than a custom built CMS.
iii) You can customize it in almost any way to make it unique
iv) Typically there can be many free or very inexpensive plugins or add-ons which have been developed for the CMS.
v) An Open source CMS is very stable, as it is used but a lot of websites and has many updates which are all also free.
vi) Many design templates can be available for the CMS free or very inexpensive.

Some of the best examples of Open Source Programs used by Adult Sites are:

* Drupal
* Joomla
* Oscommerce – Shopping Cart
* Post Nuke
* PHPMotion – A Good video script could be used for VOD or video membership

Disadvantages of using an open source CMS:

i) There is no support for the program. You have to hire a developer to understand it, manage it and customize it.
ii) Open source programs can be less secure since their code is open. Hackers can create scripts to compromise the CMS and destroy or collect data or do many other destructive things.

In summary, using an open source CMS instead of CMS you buy means that you need to have good working technical knowledge or be able to hire someone who can be trusted to maintain and fix an issues from the CMS.

I always believe that unless you can afford to hire a full time programmer, it is always best to go for a CMS that you buy and that has support.

Just like you would not fix your car if you are not a mechanic, nor would you run your own server if you are not a server administrator.

If you want to try one of the cheapest and more dynamic CMS around, please proceed here.

Last edited by cthulhu_waves; 2010-07-16 at 02:26 PM..
cthulhu_waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 01:03 PM   #2
raymor
The only guys who wear Hawaiian shirts are gay guys and big fat party animals

Send a message via ICQ to raymor
Recently there have been two CMS companies go out of business.
Both of those used encrypted PHP. When the webmasters using those systems
needed to move servers or fix a problem, they were just about screwed.
They pretty much had to scrap their site and start over, they figured.

Fortunately for the ones who contacted us, we were able to hack the encryption
and move the sites to new servers. For some of the code we couldn't completely
crack,
we were able to re-implement it.

An honest comparison of open source versus proprietary has to take into
consideration that using proprietary software puts you at the mercy of the
company selling it to you, IF you don't get full source code. PHP makes it
easy for the seller to avoid giving you source code, instead delivering
only an encrypted copy which doesn't allow you to move the site, fix problems, etc.

I'm not against proprietary software. I make the bulk of my living selling proprietary software.
But unlike most companies, we provide full source code and a license that protects you
if anything happens to us. Since most companies don't, internally we don't use any
proprietary software so that our business isn't entirely dependent on some other company.

This thread is of course a thinly veiled advertisement for the OP's CMS.
Because their product is based on Wordpress, some of the usual concerns
about proprietary software don't apply. When they disappear, which everyone
will eventually, any programmer familiar with Wordpress has some background
knowledge needed to maintain the system for you. I think they provide full source
code, which is needed for your protection. If they don't already, I imagine they would
be willing to at least provide the code in escrow to a long established and trusted company
who can then see to it that customers' needs are provided for should the original company become unable to do so.
TXDPS #A14012
raymor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 02:46 PM   #3
cthulhu_waves
Banned

The only way to protect yourself is to build your own CMS program. This is the only way you can control everything.

This of course can be very expensive.

For adultsiteCMS we have created a CMS which bridges that gap as much as possible. Which means that 99% of the code is all open. We only protect about 5 scripts which control some of the custom features we have made which control the tour. It does not mean that it stops the site from operating or stop you from creating your own script if you need to do make the same features work.

We believe that you should control your own site as much as possible and tour and member code is all open and still runs Wordpress as the core as the Open Source does.
cthulhu_waves is offline   Reply With Quote