Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-10-21, 10:39 PM   #1
juggernaut

Location: Central Jersey! If I was rich and powerful I would dress as my avatar does.
Send a message via Yahoo to juggernaut
GO Daddy worste company I ever delt with

Ok my sister has a real life store. She wants a website, regisiters with GD. Buys a small hosting package and a small ecommerce package. Calls me to ask to put up a site. I do so and all is good. She starts getting sales this week. Gets an email from GD this morning about her ICANN verification. She forwards me the mail. I enter in all the stuff and everything seems fine. 1 hour later, the account is closed, money is totally refunded and the site is now down. Called the tech support and got the run around about filling out paper work and submitting an e-mail to the abuse department. Which I'm sure will take a nice long time to get fixed. Man I wish she would have called me before she got this domain with them. I would never have went with that company, its like domain names for mom and pop to put up their kiddy pics. Just a warning for anyone looking to save $3 on a domain name spend a couple of bucks more and get a company that will work with you not against you.. Jugg
juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-21, 10:52 PM   #2
beano
Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

Damn that sucks. I just got that same email about verifying for ICANN and haven't logged in yet....you've got me me scared...ugh
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-22, 01:38 AM   #3
juggernaut

Location: Central Jersey! If I was rich and powerful I would dress as my avatar does.
Well lets hope for the best. I did nothing wrong I can only guess its a total screw up by their system. I have never had this happen with my other domain registration company. But then again, I only register with them not host, so who the heck knows whats going on with that company. If their policy is to close/lock out the account until ICANN can takes the verification thats a shitty policy. Worste part about this is my sis was never notified at all. If I was not keeping an eye on this it prob would have been worse, like releasing the domain name.
Old 2005-10-22, 01:54 AM   #4
selena
Oh no, I'm sweating like Roger Ebert

Send a message via ICQ to selena
I've used Go Daddy with zero problems from the start. Hope things get straightened out for you.
ICQ 273551440
selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-22, 06:06 AM   #5
ecchi
Banned

RE" I've used Go Daddy with zero problems from the start." Yeah, In hear that a lot in posts. Kind of reminds me of the guy who falls out of a window on the 30th floor of a building, and as her passes the tenth floor thinks "I haven't hit the ground yet, perhaps I'll live"
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-22, 04:11 PM   #6
selena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi
RE" I've used Go Daddy with zero problems from the start." Yeah, In hear that a lot in posts. Kind of reminds me of the guy who falls out of a window on the 30th floor of a building, and as her passes the tenth floor thinks "I haven't hit the ground yet, perhaps I'll live"

I'm very satisifed with them. I have seen no reason to consider a change of registrars.
ICQ 273551440
Old 2005-10-22, 04:13 PM   #7
selena

Quote:
Originally Posted by beano
Damn that sucks. I just got that same email about verifying for ICANN and haven't logged in yet....you've got me me scared...ugh

If your information regarding who owns the domain is still accurate, you don't need to make any changes. Just login, look at what they have on file, and if it is correct, don't worry about it.
ICQ 273551440
Old 2005-10-22, 05:20 PM   #8
cybersexhound
Operator! Give me the number for 911!

Send a message via ICQ to cybersexhound Send a message via Yahoo to cybersexhound
I use infosaic.com they have a pretty awsome reseller plan which allows me to save lots of money, also you have complete control of your domain though the reseller panel.
cybersexhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-22, 09:44 PM   #9
Nikki
Hey, can you take the wheel for a second, I have to scratch my self in two places at once

I just did a backorder with godaddy and they didnīt make it, to get the domain
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-23, 12:03 AM   #10
juggernaut

Well we are going on two full days that nothing has been done about this, sites still down. I guess my sis has a better chance of learning how to trumpet the god bless america out her ass before this will be resolved.
Old 2005-10-23, 12:41 AM   #11
MrYum
Arghhhh...submit yer sites ya ruddy swabs!

Send a message via ICQ to MrYum
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut
I guess my sis has a better chance of learning how to trumpet the god bless america out her ass before this will be resolved.
Pics???

Had to do it Jugg
MrYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-23, 02:55 AM   #12
basschick
Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

Send a message via ICQ to basschick
i'm sorry to hear this happened to your sister. perhaps there was a typo somewhere in the info? or maybe they just fucked up.

the only three people/companies i know who had domains hijacked in the last 5 years were all with godaddy - who, at least at that time, did not have weekend support. it took several days to fix the situation in each days PLUS the weekend.

i've also met a couple more people on boards, but don't know 'em, who say they have had the same experience. i don't know of another registrar that anything like this has happened with except netsol, and i don't know anyone who uses them anymore.

Promote our exclusive gay muscle site!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-23, 02:22 PM   #13
Gnus

Sorry to hear that you having troubles with them. We have been with godaddy for over 4 years now and haven't had one problem with them. Hope you get it straightened out.

Gary
Old 2005-10-23, 03:03 PM   #14
Jim
Banned

Most problems posted here about registrars are for godaddy. Try searching and you will notice a bad trend.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-23, 04:55 PM   #15
amaze
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

Send a message via ICQ to amaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Most problems posted here about registrars are for godaddy. Try searching and you will notice a bad trend.
That is true but it there not also a lot of webmaster there have/are using them the more there use a thing the more problem there will be

Personalize I use dotster
amaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-23, 05:04 PM   #16
ecchi
Banned

RE: "That is true but it there not also a lot of webmaster there have/are using them the more there use a thing the more problem there will be" Very few professional WMs use them because of all the bad press, it tends only to be "amateurs" who use Go Daddy.
Old 2005-10-23, 05:10 PM   #17
ecchi
Banned

Shit, sorry, looks like my worst case of bad wording ever in my last post. What I was trying to say was that the majority of Go Daddy customers are not professional webmasters, and because less webmasters than average use Go Daddy, the fact that we still get "I just had big problems with Go Daddy" posts on WM boards is more significant than if you got the same number of posts over another register.

I was NOT saying, or even trying to imply that WMs who use Go Daddy are amateurs. Sorry, I just worded my last post badly.
Old 2005-10-23, 08:14 PM   #18
Agent
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi
Shit, sorry, looks like my worst case of bad wording ever in my last post. What I was trying to say was that the majority of Go Daddy customers are not professional webmasters, and because less webmasters than average use Go Daddy, the fact that we still get "I just had big problems with Go Daddy" posts on WM boards is more significant than if you got the same number of posts over another register.

I was NOT saying, or even trying to imply that WMs who use Go Daddy are amateurs. Sorry, I just worded my last post badly.
Heh, after reading the original post I was readying my flak jacket and goggles and prepping for the ensuing showdown.
Old 2005-10-24, 02:14 AM   #19
juggernaut

Well 3 full days and my sister is learning that tune quicker then they are fixing the problem. Only good thing about this, is the 60 days is almost over with. If that account ever gets fixed, its transfer time...
Old 2005-10-24, 02:18 AM   #20
juggernaut

OH BTW if anyone can recommend a good cheap hosting company with these specs
1) Must be cheap (my sis is cheap) around the GD price range
2) dont need a shit load of space, its only 3 pages
3) Most important (she needs a simple shopping cart so simple a monkey can do it, and it has to link to a paypal account)
In all she spent like $120.00 for the year with GD so if anyone can give her those goodies then I will have her move to you. Oh and I will need help with the transfer as I have never done one. I never had to. Thanks Jugg..
Old 2005-10-24, 10:28 AM   #21
nekrom
Are you sure this is the Sci-Fi Convention? It's full of nerds!

Send a message via ICQ to nekrom
I'd recomend cyberwurx, phatservers, natnet all of them have cheap ass virtual plans which sounds to fit the specs you're chasing.

-N
Old 2005-10-24, 12:21 PM   #22
Verbal
Verbal prefers 56K

Send a message via ICQ to Verbal
Pretty boy Godaddy founder Bob Parsons can kiss my ass. They are quite possibly the worst registrar I've ever used. Have you ever *tried* to transfer a domain away from Godaddy? Have you ever called their support line? Between all the doublespeak and ad-bloat it's damn near impossible get a straight answer. They intentionally give you false information and hide important info you need (like auth codes) because they are a bunch of shady thieves. It takes just one unverified complaint against your domain, and when they see you run an adult site, you are hosed. I would not recommend this company to anyone, especially if doing adult sites.

I now use Namecheap.com almost exclusively and I'm very happy with them. Their service is very clean & up-front and they don't try to force sell you a million overpriced worthless add-ons.
Old 2005-10-24, 12:29 PM   #23
juggernaut

Well they will be reported to the BBB and CA. Just so they can get those lovely letters.
Old 2005-10-24, 12:30 PM   #24
Altheon

Send a message via ICQ to Altheon
My friends CC expired so they could not renew his domain automatically. Needless to say it expires. He logs on to their website and his domain is no longer there to manually renew. Freaked out he calls them up and the customer service guy explains that he will have to pay an $85 fee to reactivate his account and get his domain back. Currently the domain is in the "redemption period". Godaddy will not let him renew it for their standard fee and are insisting on the full $85.

I've never had problems with them but after my friend's fiasco I'm not sorry that I'm moving my domains over to The Planet for $2.00 less.
Altheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-24, 02:28 PM   #25
CalModels
Trying is the first step towards failure

for .com's net and org's we use mydomain.. for the .ca's its domainsatcost.ca... almost 90% of our customers are registered through them and never had any problems... the other 10 are people who moved over from other hosts but as soon as their domain renewals come up we transfer them over to these two.. but then again we just use them as registrars, we run everything else including dns...
CalModels is offline   Reply With Quote