Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Newbie Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-12-03, 07:14 AM   #1
slogan69
Internet! Is that thing still around?

Need Ideas for Site Development

I'm about to start redesigning my site (http://www.tribvids.com) and I was hoping to get some advice and ideas from the community to incorporate. Trib Vids has been live for a year now, i started the site partly because i was interested in the subject matter and saw an opportunity to make some money and partly as a project to teach myself web design/development (from scratch). I'm quite happy with how the project has gone overall but some aspects such as seo are still frustrating me. The main purpose of the redesign is to make the site look more professional, make more money, and prepare the site for sale towards the end of next year.

SEO/ SEM
This is a little bit of a headache for me. I think my site has the best content both textual and visual (photos and videos), (its certainly in the top 5) for my subject- Tribadism, but when I type in a number of words or phrases into google relating to my subject, i don't appear on the first page for any of them. This wouldn't be so bad on its own as I know seach engines can be tricky but a competitor of mine (http://www.tribbingvideos.com) whos only been online for maybe 6-8 months has acheived much better rankings than me for many of those terms and i'm not sure why.

I have however been more successful with google image rankings and it is now my biggest referrer, but i don't know what i did to make it successful.

LINKING/ LINK TRADES
I've tried to get some link trades and links to my site but i heard that the kind of links you want are those relating to your subject matter. There aren't many sites related to Tribadism so should i be casting my net wider and trying to just get as many links as possible?

SITE DESIGN
With an Adult site is it more important to go for simplicity or for looks? Is it a bit cliche to use a pink colour scheme for a lesbian content site? I can't help thinking that any other colour would look odd.

CONTENT
I've been trying to work out whether my customers are generally more impulse buyers or intelluctual buyers. Should I focus more on reviews and information or on video and photo samples? Or perhaps a combination is best? Is there any way of finding out what kind of buyers they are, does anyone have an general ideas on the industry?

Ideas I've Got So Far

* Professional looking header (i've got a project on getafreelancer.com for this) with horizontal navigation bar below it with links to important pages on site. This will go on all pages but the sample video pages.
* TGP script to manage my thumbgallery page
* Incorporate my forum that i started on a different domain for some reason (http://www.tribadismforum.com) into the Trib Vids site.
* More information with central page based on wikipedia tribadism page but with more details and interlinking with other pages on the site.
* Update site to CSS and XHTML (currently html)

Thanks for reading. If you can help me out at all with suggestions relating to my current ideas (bullet points) or my problem areas (bold headings) or anything else to keep in mind then please let me know below.

Matt
slogan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 12:48 PM   #2
Fadi
Internet! Is that thing still around?

Your site would be perfect for this viral script in my sig link
Fadi is offline   Reply With Quote