Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-02-24, 09:56 AM   #1
tickler
If there is nobody out there, that's a lot of real estate going to waste!

Lightbulb No "safe harbour" in Italy

So Google lost a case in Italy about a video being uploaded

Quote:
Google Officials Convicted in Italian Privacy Case
Milan Judge Oscar Magi ruled today that David Drummond, Google’s senior vice president of corporate development, and Peter Fleischer, global privacy counsel, as well as George Reyes, a former chief financial officer, were guilty of privacy violations. They were sentenced to six-month terms, which were suspended. Google said it plans to appeal the “astonishing decision.”

The ruling means employees of hosting platforms like Google Video are “criminally responsible” for content uploaded by users, Google said.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ppeal-set.html
Since Italy is part of the EU, this outcome may become the standard for all the Eurpoean countries.

In other Google news they are under investigation for anti-trust practices in Europe & USA for unfair business practices.

If you have been watching any of the search engine boards recently, there has been a firestorm about Google's practices. Adwords bans, personalized search, top placements going to their own properties, opt-out only privacy settings, etc.
Old 2010-02-24, 01:26 PM   #2
ecchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickler View Post
Since Italy is part of the EU, this outcome may become the standard for all the Eurpoean countries.
Oh I doubt it, the EU is more like a gang of bickering schoolchildren than a working federation. Everyone wants to be leader and no one wants to be seen following anyone else. Germany will probably consider this "unGerman", Britain will decide "this is not for us" and the French will say "booouf" then shrug their shoulders.
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 04:20 PM   #3
Maj. Stress
Progress rarely comes in buckets, it normally comes in teaspoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi View Post
Oh I doubt it, the EU is more like a gang of bickering schoolchildren than a working federation. Everyone wants to be leader and no one wants to be seen following anyone else. Germany will probably consider this "unGerman", Britain will decide "this is not for us" and the French will say "booouf" then shrug their shoulders.
That sounds just like the gang on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.
Maj. Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 12:21 AM   #4
burntfilm
Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

I always understood public hosting as being the same as any other storage facility -
For instance - my furniture is in storage at such and such place, I have the key and it's locked at all times. I don't see how it's that storage facilities problem that the cushions are stuffed with cocaine, how should they know?
They wouldn't be liable in a police raid of my rented space...

That said, were it accessible to everyone, like a google video, and some kid went in and got high off my cocaine, then the WOULD be liable, because it's on their property... no?
Old 2010-03-10, 02:32 AM   #5
ecchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntfilm View Post
For instance - my furniture is in storage at such and such place, I have the key and it's locked at all times. I don't see how it's that storage facilities problem that the cushions are stuffed with cocaine, how should they know?
No idea what the law is in the US, but over here the property owner is responsible for anything on their property. For example I live in rented accommodation, if I started growing pot in here and got caught, my landlord would be arrested as well.
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 01:03 PM   #6
burntfilm
Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi View Post
No idea what the law is in the US, but over here the property owner is responsible for anything on their property. For example I live in rented accommodation, if I started growing pot in here and got caught, my landlord would be arrested as well.
Wow, seems like a heavy burden to a landlord.
That wouldn't be the case here. Landlords here need to give 24 hour notice before even entering a domicile - They couldn't be seen as automatically complicit.
Of course if the cops could prove he/she was aware of the illegal activity that would be a different story...
I think the closest cases here involve club owners who are complicit in the sale of drugs out in the open in their clubs, that has happened.

I would just think that a tube site owner - or google - could be responsible for what's publicly visible on their property - Our strip clibs don't have bay windows to the main street but these public websites certainly do.
Old 2010-03-10, 02:48 PM   #7
tickler
If there is nobody out there, that's a lot of real estate going to waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntfilm View Post
Our strip clibs don't have bay windows to the main street but these public websites certainly do.
Hehe, It was funny when females won in court for the right to go topless in public here, same as the guys.

Some of the strip clubs has dancers stripping in the windows, at some others they were sitting outside on the patios. The rub & tug across the street had some hotties setting outside sunning themselves. I seem to remember some accidents/traffic jams.
Old 2010-03-10, 04:00 PM   #8
Kumaji
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Ima a landlord in Charleston, SC...
It ain't easy bein cheesy...
Old 2010-03-10, 04:06 PM   #9
burntfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickler View Post
Hehe, It was funny when females won in court for the right to go topless in public here, same as the guys.

Some of the strip clubs has dancers stripping in the windows, at some others they were sitting outside on the patios. The rub & tug across the street had some hotties setting outside sunning themselves. I seem to remember some accidents/traffic jams.
lol we took advantage of that in Brooklyn a few times
http://www.ivyblack.net/hot-stuff/sa...lashing-combo/