Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-06-24, 03:46 PM   #1
Wenchy
Trying is the first step towards failure

Send a message via ICQ to Wenchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
That issue has been getting tossed around since last summer, and I doubt the DOJ wants to pick a fight with them...they have too much money to fight back.
That may be true, Max, but to avoid going after SEs because they have too much $$ is selective enforcement of the law and that in itself is a violation of the law.

The DOJ has really painted themselves into a corner here. There are no simple answers, no easy ways out, and no justifiable means for them to force group A to be compliant without also forcing group B to follow suit. IMHO, it would be in the DOJ's best interest to go after a couple of SEs... talk about headline grabbers!

But that's just my opinion... your mileage may vary
Old 2005-06-24, 03:51 PM   #2
intillus
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

Send a message via ICQ to intillus Send a message via Yahoo to intillus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenchy
That may be true, Max, but to avoid going after SEs because they have too much $$ is selective enforcement of the law and that in itself is a violation of the law.

The DOJ has really painted themselves into a corner here. There are no simple answers, no easy ways out, and no justifiable means for them to force group A to be compliant without also forcing group B to follow suit. IMHO, it would be in the DOJ's best interest to go after a couple of SEs... talk about headline grabbers!

But that's just my opinion... your mileage may vary
Problem is, the DOJ know the amount of $$ yahoo & google have for their legal defense. If they go after a SE and lose that precedent would be huge for webmasters. They wouldnt want to take a chance at going against a big SE when they could take a smaller risk with a better potential for victory.
intillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-24, 04:06 PM   #3
MadMax
"Without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometimes" ~ Satan

Location: Motor City, baby, where carjacking was invented! Now GIMME THOSE SHOES!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenchy
While this is true, selective enforcement is practiced every day at every level of the Criminal "Justic" (sic) System, from prosecutors getting to decide what they will and will not charge someone with to a traffic cop being able to give you a warning instead of a ticket when you both know damned well you ran that red light.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote