Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-08-28, 12:14 PM   #1
stuveltje
Live and learn. And take very careful notes!

Send a message via ICQ to stuveltje
Need advice about firefox

I told yesterday i had a virus thing in my puter and i needed to reinstal windows xp pro, while the techie said i would loose everything in the puter, i found out still things arehanging around somewhere, now i have installed firefox again, but i also found my old firefox and i saw the bookmarks there with password thing, now my question, does anyone knows how to get the old bookmarks with the password stuff into the new firefox i downloaded?
stuveltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 12:29 PM   #2
bDok
bang bang

Send a message via ICQ to bDok
sounds like you just reinstalled the core system so there will be things hanging around. If things are REALLY bad you can back up the files you really need and do a full erase of the hard drive and then reinstall everything.

more of a last resort. however, if you have spent more then a couple hours on the project then it's time to wipe and start over.
Old 2008-08-28, 12:33 PM   #3
stuveltje

well all is working fine in my puter again, i even found the tons of bookmarks in a map of ie i had before the only thing i want is the bookmarks of firefox with passwords into the new one, i search on google...but most of the shit they tell "about how to do it" dont work.
Old 2008-08-28, 12:40 PM   #4
cd34
a.k.a. Sparky

If I recall, there is a strangely named directory that contains your 'current' data... it will look something like:

9116o1wk.default and will be in a user preferences directory. Search your harddrive for bookmarks.html -- it should find your current one and the old one.

Shut down firefox, rename the current one, copy the old one to the new directory, restart firefox. Make sure you don't delete the old copy just in case it doesn't work properly, you'll still have the copy.

There is a way to do it in the registry where you rename the data store location, but, I have found copying the files a little easier. Make sure firefox is not running when you do it because it caches some of those files and will rewrite them.
Old 2008-08-28, 12:53 PM   #5
stuveltje

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd34 View Post
If I recall, there is a strangely named directory that contains your 'current' data... it will look something like:

9116o1wk.default and will be in a user preferences directory. Search your harddrive for bookmarks.html -- it should find your current one and the old one.

Shut down firefox, rename the current one, copy the old one to the new directory, restart firefox. Make sure you don't delete the old copy just in case it doesn't work properly, you'll still have the copy.

There is a way to do it in the registry where you rename the data store location, but, I have found copying the files a little easier. Make sure firefox is not running when you do it because it caches some of those files and will rewrite them.
yep the thing you are talking about i have found in the old one, not in the new one, even i have already bookmarks in the new folder, i also know the file with the password thing is named like this signonsx (the x will be a number) that file will have the password thing, so i need to copy that one also and put it in the new folder?
Old 2008-08-28, 01:11 PM   #6
cd34
a.k.a. Sparky

maybe search for localstore.rdf

that might be on there. Were you running Firefox 2 before, and upgrading to 3? some of their filenames in the datastore changed.

I think a directory named chrome was present in both.
Old 2008-08-28, 01:19 PM   #7
stuveltje

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd34 View Post
maybe search for localstore.rdf

that might be on there. Were you running Firefox 2 before, and upgrading to 3? some of their filenames in the datastore changed.

I think a directory named chrome was present in both.
yes the chrome i see in most of the files, why i say most...dont hit me, but when i search for firefox in my puter i got 50 results...yes i know i am chaotic, the old one i see chrome and the profile thing and then the strange named file you talk about before. still a strange thing, i updated now all and now the programs look totally different then i had before, even i had automatic updates for windows and firefox it seems it didnt updated all what was new.....i am having problems to get use to the programs how they look now, while i expected all was uptodate before i got in this shit

Last edited by stuveltje; 2008-08-28 at 01:22 PM..
Old 2008-08-28, 01:23 PM   #8
stuveltje

i am gonna play with some of the stuff you mentioned here, it will work out, you gave some good advice! Thanks for that!!!
Old 2008-08-28, 01:52 PM   #9
Mr Spock
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Their is a program called MozBackup that will back up your FF and Thunderbird profiles , including the bookmarks and e-mails. Quite useful to this once in a while in just to be on the safe side - I also got hit with a virus and lost bookmarks , emails etc

You can also manually save your bookmarks , Organize bookmarks , File , export. I doubt that this method will save your passwords and logins , but using MozBackup will.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 02:08 PM   #10
stuveltje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Their is a program called MozBackup that will back up your FF and Thunderbird profiles , including the bookmarks and e-mails. Quite useful to this once in a while in just to be on the safe side - I also got hit with a virus and lost bookmarks , emails etc

You can also manually save your bookmarks , Organize bookmarks , File , export. I doubt that this method will save your passwords and logins , but using MozBackup will.
Gonna look into that one also, what i did noticed, i had ie7 as my main browser, my puter saved all the favorites in a seperate map, which stayed in my puter when i reinstalled xp pro, so i expect now because i use firefox as my main server that the same will happen with the favorites of firefox. still it is strange, th disk of xp tels you that he will whiped out all in your puter when you reinstal in the same directory, i did the reinstal in the same directory and i still found most things back, on this moment the only thing i lost are my emails and my paswords which where saved on firefox, i didnt expected that, i thought i would have lost everything, for some reason all the stuff stayed in and is hiding somewhere i my puter
Old 2008-08-28, 02:20 PM   #11
stuveltje

for example sp3 update, i didnt even know there was a fucking service pack 3 for xp, and i have the automatic updates on, but on this moment i am stuck with some of kind of search bar at the bottom of my screen which say search desktop???? i hate new things