Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Language question. (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=70850)

jollyhumper 2019-09-15 05:57 AM

Language question.

Hi there

I'm writing a draft for a convention and I need a word to describe work environment.
Directly translated from Norwegian, it will be "Work Culture".
I've never heard that, so I have a feeling it's not valid in English.

So, when you start up a new workplace you are recommended to focus on ethics, "this is our place", good mood, ownership etc etc,.

Summed up in one word.

Did I explain it properly?

Edit: Also, a temporary board being active until place is established and a permanent board is in place, what word? :)

J:)lly

Greenguy 2019-09-15 07:45 AM

I can't think of one word that describes what you're talking about. I keep having to put "work" or "office" infront of other words like "culture", "environment", or "atmosphere".

Same with the temporary board. Maybe "interim" or "intermediate" board?

jollyhumper 2019-09-15 08:01 AM

Thank you |bow|

I guess Environment is the best word, It just didn't come to me.
If Interim actually is an English word, then that is correct.

J:)lly

Pagan 2019-09-15 09:43 AM

Yep, what Greenie said. You actually do hear a lot about the Work Environment in the media. Finns know interim very well, since we had to deal with an interim government earlier this year. Good choices.

hony 2019-09-16 05:03 AM

Corporate Culture is a thing. The best man I ever knew with skills to develop it was a Finn...

JAI-LING 2019-09-16 05:26 AM

The word in Japanese you are looking for is "Shafu". Sha meaning company and fu meaning air. So, the air or atmosphere of the company. So, the distinct atmosphere of the company. Localize it and I have to agree with corporate culture or maybe corporate life could be nice depending on the group you are speaking to.

So many "black companies" here. Hard to find positives sometimes. lol.

Pagan 2019-09-16 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hony (Post 557672)
Corporate Culture is a thing. The best man I ever knew with skills to develop it was a Finn...

Hehehehe. I do find that funny in so many ways. Finns are known for being very standoffish socially. We like our 3 foot wall of privacy. If we can answer your question witn one word, that is all you will get. And don't expect us to smile. Most Finns don't especially the men. At the same time, there is a lot of respect given to rules and finding the best way to do something along with personal privacy. That can lead to a great working environment. if everyone is working towards the same thing it all goes smooth and they are happy. Employers here tend to be quite picky about who they will hire. Simply having the qualifications doesn't always get you the job - you have to fit in with the company and their vision too.