Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Old English Custom to bring money into the home in the New Year (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=60155)

RedCherry 2010-12-31 06:39 PM

Old English Custom to bring money into the home in the New Year

My step-Grandfather was from Cornwall, and every year we have done this since I was little.

You put money out on the "Stoop" on the last day of the year. Tomorrow, bring the money inside the house. This is to help bring money into your home all year long.

So last year, I put $20 out, I always put $1, and my adult income has increased 15% this year over last year, Dec is about 34% over last Dec, so its been increasing more as the year progressed.

Tonight, I'm putting $100 out. :)

Since we are all hurting for money, figured I'd share it, cause it can't hurt. |thumb

cd34 2010-12-31 07:34 PM

I'm going to write a check for $10 million tonight. :)

Ramster 2011-01-01 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd34 (Post 496758)
I'm going to write a check for $10 million tonight. :)

LOL

I should have tried putting a $20 out but didn't see this thread.

RedCherry 2011-01-01 10:41 AM

I just brought mine in. I've done it as long a I could remember.

terry 2011-01-01 04:18 PM

I too missed this thread.. but its ok, I dont have the money to put outside... and dont trust anyone around here anyway! Id wake up and it would be gone.

SirMoby 2011-01-01 05:07 PM

With my luck someone would steal the $20.

RedCherry 2011-01-02 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry (Post 496794)
I too missed this thread.. but its ok, I dont have the money to put outside... and dont trust anyone around here anyway! Id wake up and it would be gone.

Wow, that is sad. I put mine under the mat in front of the door. I'm lucky though, no theft yet in the 6 years we've been here. And next year, you can always put a penny or coins out, doesn't have to be a lot of money.

MeatPounder 2011-01-02 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCherry (Post 496825)
Wow, that is sad. I put mine under the mat in front of the door. I'm lucky though, no theft yet in the 6 years we've been here. And next year, you can always put a penny or coins out, doesn't have to be a lot of money.

LOL, don't you have about 10 neighbors living in about 50 sq miles ;)

ecchi 2011-01-03 03:31 PM

Here is an even better way to to bring money into the home in the New Year (and since I'm English I guess you can call this a 'new' English custom). It comes in two parts:

(Part One) Just before the New Year starts, when most people are making New Year's resolutions, like giving up smoking and drinking less, sit down and make your own New Year's resolution. And your New Year's resolution should be to work harder and work smarter in the coming year.

(Part Two) Once the New Year starts, stick to that New Year's resolution!

|couch| Or an even better way to ensure you make more money this year than last -- click on my sig, and use my affiliate program! :)

CamsMaster 2011-01-04 04:30 PM

lol didn't knew that...