Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Link Lists & Getting Listed (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's the latest about flash movies on freesites? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=47055)

tigermom 2008-05-15 03:41 AM

What's the latest about flash movies on freesites?

I finally took the dive and learned how to turn sponsor's mpeg and wmv files into FLV and incorporating them into a page. I really like the fact that the surfer don't find it as easy to just download the movies and watch from their folders. Every time they want to watch this, they have to get back to my page. With any luck for LL owners, if they haven't bookmarked my page, they'll go through the LL again to find it.

Only remaining question is do the major LL's accept flash embedded movies on a FS?

tigermom 2008-05-19 01:08 AM

I guess nobody's taking them then :(

SheepGuy 2008-05-19 01:27 AM

Sorry I missed this thread the first time around, I'll definitely list them, seems like a win-win deal to me!

tigermom 2008-05-19 06:02 AM

Thanks! I need to hit you up on some trades, methinks, and maybe some listings of FS version 32.5 ;)

Greenie, how about LOR and PML?

Linkster 2008-05-19 09:25 AM

We accept them at LFS - as long as the sponsor hasnt inserted huge ads halfway through :)

Tekster 2008-05-19 09:55 AM

No problem here, I'll take them.

LD 2008-05-19 10:52 AM

I love them...I think they are much better than the traditional way of displaying movies. Is it pretty easy to make them? Are they more Mac friendly?

NY Jester 2008-05-19 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigermom (Post 401924)
I really like the fact that the surfer don't find it as easy to just download the movies and watch from their folders. Every time they want to watch this, they have to get back to my page.

Not 100% correct..it is a bit more difficult to do, but if they look through their History the file is available as long as they know what the are looking for. Definitely not as easy as "Save Target As"

nemocnice 2008-05-19 03:01 PM

What's the best way a freesite should display flash movies?

Would it be 4 mini players?

Or one player with a longer clip?

Or one player with a playlist of 4-6 clips?

Thanks.

Greenguy 2008-05-19 04:15 PM

There's a thread on the main board from 2 or 3 weeks ago that explained my thoughts - which is no (for now) due to the potential for badness with the coding of the movies.

Cleo 2008-05-19 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 402503)
There's a thread on the main board from 2 or 3 weeks ago that explained my thoughts - which is no (for now) due to the potential for badness with the coding of the movies.

Ditto for me. :(

DangerDave 2008-05-19 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 402503)

.. and for me.

DD

Ms Naughty 2008-05-19 07:12 PM

Slightly off topic: I went and bought myself the EasyFLV software and I've been messing with it to make flash videos. It creates code that uses Javascript so I guess that's not such a good thing.

Actually, I've realised I probably didn't need to pay the money as the process is relatively simple (and may not require JS), but at least it got me moving on the whole thing.

It's a shame that flash movies have this security thing (which I admit, I don't really understand) because I do think it has a lot of potential as a selling tool.

cd34 2008-05-19 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmascrotum (Post 402526)
It creates code that uses Javascript so I guess that's not such a good thing.

The Eolas patent disallowed microsoft to automatically start applications without a click that are embedded on a page. As a result, the workaround was a javascript widget that clicked the video and started it, which works around the patent. I would suspect that is the javascript that is being supplied, and, since the license agreement with Eolas, shouldn't be required.

tigermom 2008-05-20 01:46 AM

Oh well. Thanks for the input everyone. Not like I am getting around to building too many FS soon :(