Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Any good books to recommend? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=27934)

swedguy 2006-01-13 06:11 PM

Any good books to recommend?

My ex lost my The Shadow Of The Wind at Amsterdam airport and all bookstores in the city is out of copies "#¤%&. So I need some new books since I'm all out of reading material.
Got any to recommend? Both fiction, non-fiction and business related are welcome :)

Jel 2006-01-13 06:19 PM

Michael Connelly - 'Lost Light' I just finished, and is a good read, as is 'Black Wind' by Clive Cussler that I should be done with tonight.

Recent good reads include:

James Twining 'The Double Eagle'
G M Ford 'Fury'
Dan Brown 'Deception Point'

And a bunch more I'll post tomorrow when I can get to my library (the bedroom where my youngest is asleep lol)

Cleo 2006-01-13 06:23 PM

I use to read books all the time and then I became a computer geek.

emmanuelle 2006-01-13 06:26 PM

The Children of Men is my all time fav, and it appears that it will be made into a movie later this year.

swedguy 2006-01-13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleo
I use to read books all the time and then I became a computer geek.

I once was a computer geek, then I started reading books ;)

stuveltje 2006-01-13 06:50 PM

the only book i read and read again and again is...........all famouse murders in alphabetic order. for real realy great book, the murders go back at date 1800 all over the world, last time i saw on discovery channel a program where they resolved a very old murder, i readed about that murder in my book...........oke i know i am a freak|crazy| but its a great book, further i only read dutch books:D

spookyx 2006-01-13 06:54 PM

my favorites

Foucault's Pendulum: by Umberto Eco
Cities of the Red Night: by William S. Burroughs
Junky: by William S. Burroughs
The Sheltering Sky: by Paul Bowles
The Haunting (short story) by Shirley Jackson
At the Mountains of Madness (and most all short stories by H.P. Lovecraft)
xxxjays blog |thumb

:D

swedguy 2006-01-13 07:33 PM

Jel,
You have a thing for crime books? ;)
Have you read I Have Lived in the Monster by Robert K. Ressler? Quite a fascinating book about the most notorious serial killers.
Will see if they have G M Ford 'Fury'. Thanks :)

Emanuelle,
It reminds me a little bit of a book I read couple of weeks ago: Aldous Huxley - Brave New World. Will see if the bookstore has it. Thank you :)

Stu,
I'm with you :D
I have a thing for criminals minds. What makes them do whatever they have done? What makes a serial killer slit someones belly and then jack off in it?

spookyx,
Most of those books sounds great. I'll see if they have any. Thanks :)

SirMoby 2006-01-13 10:37 PM

I always enjoy books written by Andy McNab. He's an ex SAS officer that's gone through some serious stuff, manages to stay in one peace and writes mostly fiction with real effects. He has one fact book about his adventures in Desert Storm.

Then there's always Daniel Silva but I think I like his first 3 books best. Good spy stuff and his characters are interesting without being too far out there.

I read Robert London's "The Jansen Directive" which I thought was great. I haven't read any of his other work but it's on my to do list.

SirMoby 2006-01-13 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swedguy
Stu,
I'm with you :D
I have a thing for criminals minds. What makes them do whatever they have done? What makes a serial killer slit someones belly and then jack off in it?

We've all slit a few bellies opened and severed a few heads but that's just icky. Someone needs a Flesh Light.

MadMax 2006-01-14 12:52 AM

If you're into fantasy fiction I highly recommend the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist, ranks right up there with Tolkein in my book.

More serious reading: "Fingerprints of the Gods" by Graham Hancock, archaeology by an investigative journalist.

emmanuelle 2006-01-14 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swedguy

Emanuelle,
It reminds me a little bit of a book I read couple of weeks ago: Aldous Huxley - Brave New World. Will see if the bookstore has it. Thank you :)

I've been meaning to re-read that one for ages, thanks for the reminder -lol. Another interesting one along a related theme is A Creed For the Third Millenium

Enjoy! |goodidea

cd34 2006-01-14 03:22 AM

Juniper Networks Reference Guide: JUNOS Routing, Configuration, and Architecture is a particularly riveting book covering many facets of a number of different routers in multiple production environments.

Juniper and Cisco Routing is another must-read for multivendor network installations -- I couldn't put that one down until I read all 723 pages. A real pageturner.

Jel 2006-01-14 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd34
Juniper Networks Reference Guide: JUNOS Routing, Configuration, and Architecture is a particularly riveting book covering many facets of a number of different routers in multiple production environments.

Juniper and Cisco Routing is another must-read for multivendor network installations -- I couldn't put that one down until I read all 723 pages. A real pageturner.

That was a coffee splutterer lol |thumb

Swedguy, not really crime, more thrillers I guess, although I have a pretty wide range of tastes. Sir Moby, yep those Andy McNab books are pretty cool. His first book recounting his experience in Desert Storm is called Bravo Two Zero (The name of his platoon), although a lot of it was called bullshit by another member of the platoon, Chris Ryan, although I haven't read his book(s).

I've read most John Grisham books, a couple of fucking stinkers (The Bleachers, Our Painted House) but generally a good read, his early books are the best imho.

Another good one by Dan Brown is Digital Fortress (The Da Vinci Code sucked the big one but his other stuff is pretty good).

Also check out Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy which I believe are being made into movies, the book titles being:

Northern Lights
The Subtle Knife (I read this 1st, and on reflection was the best thing I done)
The Amber Spyglass

Those will blow you away with the author's imagination |thumb

If you're anything like me those should keep you busy until next week ;)

misty3k 2006-01-14 08:48 PM

I read Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. A non fictional narrative that reads like fiction! It's about Chicago being the chosen spot for the Worlds Fair in 1893. At the same time, one of America's first serial killers began his spree. Apparently, his victims could go into the hundreds, as many out of town fair goers never returned to their homes after the fair was over.
Real real good book.

Fonz 2006-01-15 07:13 AM

I'm reading Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" saga at the moment. It consists out of 7 books so it should keep you busy for a while.

docholly 2006-01-15 07:43 AM

Quote:

Another good one by Dan Brown is Digital Fortress (The Da Vinci Code sucked the big one but his other stuff is pretty good).
i just finished Digital Fortress the last of the Dan Brown books I needed to read.

Angels & Demons A+
Da vinci Code B
Deception Point C
Digital Fortress A

Angels & Demons & Digital Fortress get A's because it took me longer than 1/4 of the book to figure out what the outcome would be.

ronnie 2006-01-15 06:41 PM

Anything by Napolen Hill.

ronnie

Bare 2006-01-15 09:25 PM

James Lee Burke, any of them.

Agent 2006-01-15 09:45 PM

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson.
This is my favorite book. It's regarded as the most comprehensive English language book on Guevara.

I'm currently reading Malcom X's autobiography and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Mattinblack 2006-01-15 10:10 PM

My top 5....

Richard Morgan Altered Carbon - a world where you walk around with a recorder in your head, your mind is freighted from planet to planet via 'needlecast' to be installed in a new body and the dead can be brought back to life... at a price.

John Courtenay Grimwood - Lucifers Dragon - Passion Di Orchi is no more than the obscenely rich daughter of a west coast mafia boss until she decided to rebuild 17th Century Venice in the middle of the Pacific.

Neal Stephenson - Interface - In which the US president is chipped and controlled by spin doctors until a paranoid Mid-western trailer trash redneck decides to rebel against the system....

Terry Pratchett - The Truth - A fantasy worlds first newspaper editor, William de Worde just wanted to get at the truth. Unfortunately everyone else just wants to get at William. an amazing cast includes Otto the vampire photographer whose own flash makes him disintegrate into dust, and Mr Tulip and MrPin, a pair of underworld figures straight out of a Tarrantino movie.

Iain M Banks - The Player of Games - http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/#player

All his 'Culture' novels really.

Useless 2006-01-15 10:26 PM

Warrior approved literature (in no particular order):
Story of the Eye - Georges Bataille
The Fermata - Nicholson Baker
Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas - Tom Robbins
Skinny Legs and All - Tom Robbins
The Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac
Crazy Cock - Henry Miller (My opinion, once you've read any Miller, you've read it all)
Portnoy's Complaint - Philip Roth (Really, almost anything by Roth)
Child of God - Cormac McCarthy

juggernaut 2006-01-15 10:55 PM

Without RemorseBy Tom Clancy. Fiction. In short John Clark (cia spook) girl friend gets bumped off by some street hoods and well being he is and ex-navy seal he decides to show them what happens when you piss off a nut case. Very nice reading, also nice reading if you would like to learn some interesting ways of bumping people off.

GunnCat 2006-01-16 01:21 AM

Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson

swedguy 2006-01-16 05:22 AM

Sweet! Ordered a bunch and the rest that looks good has ended up in my wishlist for next time |thumb

UW, I wish I read your post before I ordered. I got one Jack Kerouac book (On The Road) and now I see that he has a bunch of good ones like the one you posted and "Lonesome Traveler"... next time :)