Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   General Business Knowledge (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Snow Leopard Mac OS X (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=54268)

urb 2009-08-29 01:56 PM

Snow Leopard Mac OS X

Just installed Snow Leopard on an IMac and I am immediately blown away by what seems to be a massive improvement in the contrast of the monitor.

I always thought the IMac screen was a bit too bright, and with no way of adjusting it.

If my eyes aren't deceiving me, Snow Leopard has corrected this brightness problem. I haven't checked out anything else yet... but the quality of screen resolution is worth the small upgrade fee on its own.

This IMac now looks as clear and as sharp as any computer display I have ever seen! |loony|

Impressive!!! :)

Cleo 2009-08-29 02:03 PM

The default gamma has been changed from 1.8 to 2.2.

So far I'm loving 10.6 although it's a bit frustrating that some of my utilities need to be updated before they will work with it.

urb 2009-08-29 03:26 PM

Thanks Cleo. :)

The only application we couldn't get to work was CyberDuck FTP. But FileZilla is a worthy replacement.

Cleo 2009-08-29 03:38 PM

There is an update to CyberDuck for 10.6.

Other issues,
1Password needed to be upgraded.
Crossover needed to be upgraded.
SpellCatcher and CopyPaste Pro have updates in the works.

My Address Book somehow got hosed with about a thousand duplicates. Not sure if it had anything to do with 10.6 or MobileMe. A quick restore from TimeMachine fixed it in under 5 minutes.

Oddly with each restart I seem to be gaining more drive space. I'm up to 36 gigs free now. Up from 9 gigs free before upgrading.

Also my Mac seems to be getting faster as time goes by.

MeatPounder 2009-08-29 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleo (Post 462705)

Oddly with each restart I seem to be gaining more drive space. I'm up to 36 gigs free now. Up from 9 gigs free before upgrading.

Perhaps it is silently deleting all those unwanted shemale videos ;)

bDok 2009-08-29 06:35 PM

I'm upgrading next week. I need cs4 though as adobe's stance with snow isn't so hot.

Glad to hear so far other users are having positive responses. Maybe tomorrow or later today I'll zip over to the mac store to pick up my copy.

Cleo 2009-08-29 06:38 PM

Photoshop CS3 is running fine. Not sure about the rest of CS3 as this is the only part of it that I'm using.

One thing to be careful about is Rosetta is now an option install. I still use ImageReady sometimes so I needed Rosetta.

Torn Rose 2009-08-29 06:45 PM

CS4 better work, I just bought it online and expect the DVD Monday, I planned to get Snow next week as well, I love the idea of more space and faster machine.

Let me know if you get CyberDuck to work Urb, I have been using that since you suggested it.

Cleo 2009-08-29 07:01 PM

Version 3.3b1 (5167) of CyberDuck works fine under 10.6.

Damian 2009-09-02 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urb (Post 462697)
Just installed Snow Leopard on an IMac and I am immediately blown away by what seems to be a massive improvement in the contrast of the monitor.

I always thought the IMac screen was a bit too bright, and with no way of adjusting it.

If my eyes aren't deceiving me, Snow Leopard has corrected this brightness problem. I haven't checked out anything else yet... but the quality of screen resolution is worth the small upgrade fee on its own.

This IMac now looks as clear and as sharp as any computer display I have ever seen! |loony|

Impressive!!! :)

You've always been able to adjust that.

System Preferences/Display/Color/Calibrate

:)

Also, CS4 seems to be working fine for me.

And Transmit is my FTP app of choice and is working fine too.

burntfilm 2009-09-04 04:15 AM

I have get off my ass and go buy it.

Cleo 2009-09-04 10:07 AM

Nice little article about some of the new gems of SL.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1426...?lsrc=rss_main