Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   General Business Knowledge (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What's the best way to find investors? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=57527)

mrsparrow 2010-05-18 08:26 AM

What's the best way to find investors?

Pls help out a noob :)

Let's say I own a highly brandable 4 letter .com domain which is 11 years old and has a PR5.

What would be the best way to find investors willing to pay 300k+ for it?

Any ideas of people that can be approached?

Ramster 2010-05-18 08:54 AM

sedo and other domain auction sites.

mrsparrow 2010-05-18 09:11 AM

Thanks Ramster,

The domain is listed on Sedo and there is already one bidder :)

I was trying to get the action going by contacting some more potential investors that might not be aware of the Sedo listing.

I'm trying to get the attention of some big players but I don't know the market very well. So far I've tried to contact companies such as aebn.net and brazzers.com

Any other big ones out there?

tickler 2010-05-18 09:24 AM

GFY has a domain auction forum going on.

InfoGuy 2010-05-18 09:59 AM

I highly doubt an investor is going to pay $300k for a brandable name. Depending on the quality of the domain, an end user might pay $300k. but any investor putting up that kind of cash is going to expect a significant return on equity for their investment.

Chances are as a noob, that you do not have a $300k domain name, but one that is maybe worth a couple of thousand to a domainer/investor. Without knowing the actual name, it is impossible to give you an accurate appraisal.

mrsparrow 2010-05-18 10:32 AM

Thanks for the inputs

tickler 2010-05-18 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfoGuy (Post 481981)
.....but any investor putting up that kind of cash is going to expect a significant return on equity for their investment.

I have a nice brandable domain for a paysite(****movies.com) that I would take maybe $5k for. Some of the brokers that I have chatted with won't go above $1k though. |huh

LeRoy 2010-05-18 12:45 PM

Depends on the domain. There's people out there looking for good ones.

cd34 2010-05-18 02:35 PM

If you believe the domain name is brandable, you might consider contacting a broker that has the contacts for selling a premium name.

However, because it is brandable, and isn't currently branded, the value of the domain would be much more likely to be based on the four letters and whether you are likely to see typein traffic etc. FCUK capitalized on it, so, it is possible.

You might consider contacting batchdomains.com, one of the advertisers on the board as they have handled brokering domain sales in the past. He knows quite a few people that are in the business and might be able to shop it around a little better than posting a domain name on sedo and waiting for an offer. He'll also be able to give you a reasonably good assessment as to whether he thinks it can be sold for your mid six-figure goal.

Greenguy 2010-05-18 03:03 PM

Doesn't stupid AVN still do those domain auctions at their lame ass shows?

InfoGuy 2010-05-18 07:59 PM

The domain auctions at AVN shows like Internext have been run by Moniker.

NinjaSteve 2010-05-18 11:13 PM

So... Moniker is a choice then?

InfoGuy 2010-05-19 05:30 AM

No, unless the 4 letter .com is a common English dictionary word, I think Sedo, Moniker or any other domain broker is going to laugh at the person offering it for sale at $300k. It is an insane price for a highly brandable 4 letter .com Anyone buying it would have to spend additional time, money and resources to develop the brand.

Simon 2010-05-19 06:10 AM

If you have the budget to sell a $300K domain name, I'd suggest you place an ad or two in the leading industry print publications. Something in the quarter page size should be enough to say just the right few words about what you have and invite serious parties to contact you. No graphics needed. Black background with large white type or white background with thick border and big black type. Simple message is all you need if you have something of real value.

mrsparrow 2010-05-19 08:50 AM

Guys,

Thank you all for the tips and advices.

Although some of you consider that it's not worth so much money, you should take into account that It's an aged domain with some history behind.

As I've said, it's listed on Sedo and there already is one bidder which is willing to pay more than 200k. So there you go...it's not impossible to find buyers.

My mission is to find at least another interested party so that there would be some competition going which will lead to a better price in the end.

Btw, I don't actually own the domain, but I'd get a nice commission for finding a buyer, hence my initial question.

babymaker 2010-05-19 04:22 PM

Is it an adult domain I am guessing it is since you are posting here, maybe I know a few that would be interested, can you PM me what it is? Don't know til I see it if I can get a buyer, but you never know.

Vekseid 2010-05-24 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tickler (Post 481988)
I have a nice brandable domain for a paysite(****movies.com) that I would take maybe $5k for. Some of the brokers that I have chatted with won't go above $1k though. |huh

WIPO charges around $5k to review blocks of ten domains for UDRP. If someone really wants that name, they can create their own brand under a different domain, prove that you are doing jack squat with yours and contact WIPO.

davion 2010-05-26 11:31 AM

Try to search at different adult forums. PM the members. :D

InfoGuy 2010-05-26 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vekseid (Post 482386)
WIPO charges around $5k to review blocks of ten domains for UDRP. If someone really wants that name, they can create their own brand under a different domain, prove that you are doing jack squat with yours and contact WIPO.

I'm not a lawyer and these are only my personal opinions. If you need legal advice, get professional legal counsel.

You're wrong. UDRP requires the trademark holder (Complainant) to have existing trademark rights prior to the domain being registered by the current domain owner (Registrant). Anyone trying to pull the bullshit that you suggest above would be tarred and feathered with a Reverse Domain Name Hijacking.

tickler 2010-05-26 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a nice Israeli friend who was in their special(SPECIAL) forces...|club|
http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/...1&d=1274916859

smashits 2010-05-27 05:12 AM

Most forums have buy and sell market place section where you can put your domain sale requests.

Two forums where you can get lot of buying requests are Digital Forums and V7N.