Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   March 9, 2012. It's the day disco died (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=63610)

Cleo 2012-03-09 08:19 AM

March 9, 2012. It's the day disco died

Just read that Jimmy Ellis has died. Damn I feel fucking old.

Work, gym, drug store, farmer's market, more work, finish getting my tax stuff together, possibly paint the stucco around our front door and finally veg out on the couch is today's plans... subject to change at any moment.

Been using the demo of SpamSieve for a few days now and loving it. It works way better than the my mail program's built in spam filter and has been catching 100% of the spam with only a few good emails being flagged. Going to buy it later today. Email is usable again. |thumb

Watched The Rum Diary last night. It's not a great movie but it is entertaining.

pc 2012-03-09 08:41 AM

Good morning. Who is Jimmy Ellis ? ( my tell that I'm still young )
Nothing new, Updates, trades, flash, building.
Have a good one. |waves|

Cleo 2012-03-09 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc (Post 514372)
Good morning. Who is Jimmy Ellis ? ( my tell that I'm still young )

He's the guy singing Disco Inferno in that video that I posted.

Jowebart 2012-03-09 09:42 AM

Hi

It's weekend!

Greenguy 2012-03-09 09:53 AM

Good Friday Peoples |waves|

Disco is NOT dead - Kool & The Gang are opening for Van Halen tonight here in Buffalo |thumb

That's my big event for the day - just work until then.

Have a great Friday!!

Simon 2012-03-09 10:05 AM

Good morning world |waves|

I remember Jimmy Ellis, The Trammps, and the whole "disco era" with many fond memories. I had phenomenal times in the clubs in NYC, Philly/NJ, DC, Atlanta and many incredible private parties. It was a culture of hedonism that I dove into with gusto.

Wishing a good day to all.

:)

ArtWilliams 2012-03-09 10:24 AM

Good morning.

I was far too quiet and anti-social to be a part of the Disco era even though it was a big during my youth. Pop and progressive rock were more my kind of music.

Paying some bills, reconciling my bank account followed by working on some sites. Hope your day is more thrilling than mine. |thumb

bluebrit 2012-03-09 01:00 PM

Hello people :)

Today is all about catching up on long overdue work before I have to be back at my usual job once again.
I still can't imagine Kool And The Gang opening for Van Halen! Talk about opposites. Either way it should be a good show and I too feel old knowing Jimmy Ellis is dead. Damn I remember that song in the charts!

That's all I have, its snowing again. Roll on summer.

RedCherry 2012-03-09 01:20 PM

Morning all.

Working on free sites and some 3D work. supposed to be in the 70s today. |bananna|

I plan on working on getting the automatic sprinklers set back up since I think we are past the freezing point, and planting some more veggies, and getting some starter trays in my greenhouse going. I love spring.

Have a good one all!

Fonz 2012-03-09 02:16 PM

Good evening,

The gf has a quiz at teh school she works at tonight so it's just me and the little one. I'm putting him in bed in 10 minutes or so and after that it's time to put the "The Expendables"-blue-ray disc in the PS3.
Other than that I have zero plans for the rest of the day :)

housekeeper 2012-03-09 03:38 PM

I heard somebody say burn baby burn....great stuff. Funny thing about that video, I can understand having a token white boy in the band, but why two bass players. I bought my first pair of platforms circe '72 - '73, and they didn't go out of style until about 1980...

housekeeper 2012-03-09 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 514377)
Disco is NOT dead - Kool & The Gang are opening for Van Halen tonight here in Buffalo |thumb!

A bit of a conflict of genres, I wouldn't consider Kool & The Gang a disco band, though they are a dance band. There were still some genuine R & B groups of the late '70's filtering through the disco craze, Mandrill, Brass Connection, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. Though they blossomed in the early '80's 4 sure.

Probably need a marque opening act for Van Halen, I would imagine fans of '80's hair bands are married with children by now and not big concert goers. Though Buffalo is known more for R & B and jazz [see Rick James]

bDok 2012-03-09 05:01 PM

Just been working away today on sites. Lazy nice friday. Been doing a lot of google hangouts with friends. Fun shit. Kinda cool. The google universe is fun. Had like 6 people in on a video/voice chat this morning.

Alright back to more work.

mOrrI 2012-03-09 06:07 PM

nice music.... chilling here... daughter painting in my mobile phone...

dunc 2012-03-11 08:00 PM

Someone just gave me The Rum Diary - looking forward to watching it |bananna||bananna|