Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Blogs and Blogging (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   WP 2.5? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=46318)

Toby 2008-03-31 02:52 PM

WP 2.5?

Has anyone gotten brave an upgraded yet?

If so, any issues, particularly with third party plugins?

helix 2008-03-31 03:57 PM

Simple Tags just updated their plugin to work with 2.5
That was the only issue I was having.

digifan 2008-03-31 07:02 PM

I have two blogs on that domain and was thinking of upgrading the second one but got visitors this afternoon. No rush...

Ms Naughty 2008-04-01 07:04 AM

I feel tempted to upgrade but it might be better to hold back a few weeks and see what bugs turn up.

They're talking about file uploads and galleries... I really need to do a bit of reading. Whenever I add a pic to my blogs I edit it in Photoshop, save it, upload it to a special folder via FTP. Can wordpress do this for me? I'd be very happy if it did, man that would save time (and get rid of a point of procrastination.)

digifan 2008-04-01 10:02 AM

Yes you can use attachments or a wp gallery builder. I am doing my galleries in uugallery, see www.adigital-fantasy.com :)

Or check out any of these:
http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2007/02...-and-graphics/

HotwivesOnline 2008-04-01 05:52 PM

I updated the day it came out with no major issues. I was several releases behind anyway, so being able to take advantage of features that people were already using (like sidebar widgets) was a great upgrade for me.

Thumbler 2008-04-01 08:54 PM

I've upgraded one of my mainstream blogs to 2.5 . The only plugin that I have on the site that won't work is WP-Slimstat-Ex

NinjaSteve 2008-04-02 04:56 AM

Once I upgraded the plugins to the latest version I haven't had any issues after I upgraded wordpress. The admin took some getting used to though.

Ms Naughty 2008-04-02 06:54 AM

Wow Digifan, thanks so much for the link!

Now, if I could find the time to jhzuush up my blogs in the near future, life would be fab...

Toby 2008-04-02 12:52 PM

Since I didn't hear any horror stories I went ahead and upgraded my one blog.

No issues so far, and most important, FeedWordPress is still working fine.

Now to get used to the new admin.

digifan 2008-04-03 03:57 PM

I am stuck with 2.3.3 for uugallery hasn't been updated yet but switched to a new theme lol. And started working on it.. now wish I knew where to add just 1 pt thin black border to the pics in the posts.. this css is longer than a novel.
http://www.adigital-fantasy.com/wp-c...tube/style.css

HC-Majick 2008-04-03 04:22 PM

Hey digifan....about halfway down the css, line 677?
Change to this:

.post-content img {
border-width: 1px;
border-color: #000000;
margin-right: 10px;
}

That should do it.

HTH

HC-Majick 2008-04-03 04:30 PM

Here is a copy I changed already:

http://www.unclethumper.com/pvt/style.css

Example:
http://www.unclethumper.com/pvt/

digifan 2008-04-03 05:45 PM

Yay thanks... you are awesome. I took a little break because my eyes hurt and are dry. The other parts are ok except the toplist created by slothtrader and will add a lot more.
Thanks again! :)

bdld 2008-04-05 10:33 PM

i upgraded a mainstream blog yesterday and have no issues to speak of. all my plugins still work too.

M.Rodriguez 2008-04-06 03:43 AM

Upgrade went smooth and easy without any problems at all..

papagmp 2008-04-06 03:56 PM

I set my first 2.5 splog up and everything works fine until I import the feeds - as soon as I populate the database, it gets SLOW - real pain in the ass so far.

papagmp 2008-04-06 09:32 PM

There is a bug in permalinks that I'm trying to figure out - lots of different opinions on Google - still researching

papagmp 2008-04-06 09:40 PM

Read more http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/a...ion-maybe-not/

papagmp 2008-04-06 10:49 PM

OK - Maj Stress and I are done stressing out on this one - here is the fix:

Create a empty .htaccess file in the WordPress root folder.
Use chmod (or your ftp) to set permissions on the htaccess to 777
Set permalinks to: /%category%/%postname%/

Note: /index.php/%category%/%postname%/ did not work for me in WP 2.5

See also: http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

If you already have an .htaccess file in the root folder, you should be able to just change the permissions.

ronnie 2008-04-07 01:11 PM

Thats pretty dangerous to be setting your htaccess file to 777. Easy for a hacker to do all kinds of things.

papagmp 2008-04-07 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie (Post 396962)
Thats pretty dangerous to be setting your htaccess file to 777. Easy for a hacker to do all kinds of things.

My feelings exactly - we're looking for better a fix and hoping the WP geeks fix it ASAP

Maj. Stress 2008-04-07 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie (Post 396962)

According to this article you can change the persmissions to 644 once you have permalinks working.

ronnie 2008-04-07 07:41 PM

I was just going to say, if even 755 would work. Least something.

Plus making sure people realize 777 is not a good permission setting.

papagmp 2008-04-07 07:49 PM

Thanks Maj Stress - You're the MAN|thumb

ronnie 2008-04-07 10:29 PM

Am I missing something here, I just realized, seemed the whole deal with setting the htaccess file to 777 was so Wordpress could write the new htaccess file for you? It's always been like that.

Then again, when you set up permalinks, WP gives you the htaccess code, you just copy and paste it into your htaccess file and upload it.

Not much need to have a security hole so that WP can write the file instead of just doing it yourself.

Just like when I see people changing the file permissions on their theme files, so they can edit them in WP, when it's just as easy to do it with a web page editor.

Perfect example, some one hacked one of my blogs this am (partly my fault, left less then secure WP pass as it was), if all my files where editable (777), they could have done much more. They could have done little things that I might not even notice.

This was no 2.5 bug or error.:)

Or I missed something?

Maj. Stress 2008-04-07 11:26 PM

My copy of 2.5 did not give me any code to put in htaccess (and did not come with a htaccess file). I remember 1.5 did. |huh

walrus 2008-04-08 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maj. Stress (Post 397035)
My copy of 2.5 did not give me any code to put in htaccess (and did not come with a htaccess file). I remember 1.5 did. |huh

WP hasn't come with a htaccess file for awhile now. I can't remember a 2.x file that did.

I haven't upgraded to 2.5 yet but to my knowledge all WP versions will give you the htaccess code in permalinks when you try to set it if it can not write to the file.

I agree with ronnie why set anything writable if you don't absolutely have to

Maj. Stress 2008-04-08 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walrus (Post 397037)
WP hasn't come with a htaccess file for awhile now. I can't remember a 2.x file that did.

I haven't upgraded to 2.5 yet but to my knowledge all WP versions will give you the htaccess code in permalinks when you try to set it if it can not write to the file.

I agree with ronnie why set anything writable if you don't absolutely have to

The copy of 2.5 that I installed gave me a warning without any code to put in htaccess. It said something about making my htaccess writeable.

I haven't installed wordpress in almost 2 years so this was all new to me.

Simon 2008-04-08 08:18 AM

Since a lot of people seem to be upgrading older (sometimes very old) WordPress installations, here are a couple of links that will help with securing your sites.

Three Tips to Protect Your WordPress Installation - Matt Cutts

Hardening WordPress - codex

And yes, make sure you change your htaccess permissions back to 644 as soon as possible if you ever need to make it world-writable by setting them to 777 temporarily. And really, if you leave any of your theme files writable by WordPress, or leave the standard 'admin' user with full admin rights, you can count on getting hacked at some point.

Also it's a good idea not to run more than one WP installation from one MySQL database. Sure, you can change prefixes for each install and run several from one database, but if you do get hacked at some point you're making it easy to take down all your blogs with one click.

Lots of good tips in the comments to Matt's article too, don't miss reading those.

HTH

Maj. Stress 2008-04-08 03:53 PM

Excellent info Simon. Thanks for passing that along. |thumb

ronnie 2008-04-08 05:10 PM

Ya, that is true, they don't come with a htaccess file, i was thinking it still gives you the code to write to your htaccess file. My bad.

walrus 2008-04-08 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie (Post 397167)
Ya, that is true, they don't come with a htaccess file, i was thinking it still gives you the code to write to your htaccess file. My bad.

It still does...at least 2.5. When you hit save changes, on the top of your screen it says you should update your htaccess file now but if you scroll to the very bottom it shows the code to update your file with.

Not very obvious|huh