Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Link Lists & Getting Listed (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Who's dropping links? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=41228)

ronnie 2007-06-27 04:09 PM

Who's dropping links?

Seems talk lately has been dropping link trades, catagory trades, because of G, what have you. To each their own, it's their site, their choice. I don't know about any one else, but I'd just like to know. I was going through some today and found more that dropped links.

It just takes an e-mail, polite thing to do.

Or post on the board.

jennym 2007-06-27 04:34 PM

Any link that I have ever pulled, the webmaster was notified.

walrus 2007-06-27 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie (Post 354734)
Seems talk lately has been dropping link trades, catagory trades, because of G, what have you. To each their own, it's their site, their choice. I don't know about any one else, but I'd just like to know. I was going through some today and found more that dropped links.

Or post on the board.

I've been seeing a lot of this lately across my blogs too!

It seems to me the big "G" or something has scared a lot of people but it's starting to really piss me off.

fresh 2007-06-27 07:43 PM

to each their own? I dont think so, those who drop (especially without notification) are cheaters and should be blacklisted.

SheepGuy 2007-06-27 08:00 PM

I'm not dropping. Think I'll check my links tomorrow though, and if my links have been dropped I'll be dropping.

Useless 2007-06-27 08:40 PM

Being that there are only 5-10 link lists out there that are truly worth owning and whose owners are actually making a living from their list, I'm amazed by the shit that's pulled by my fellow smaller/newer list owners as they scramble every time they see 20 fewer Google searches. If I owned a LOR, SG, DD, or PB, I'd openly and loudly giggle every time these small to medium sized list owners publicly shit themselves. But that's just me.

I was chatting with my girlfriend, Preacher, the other day and I happily told him that my Google traffic was increasing. The very next day, Google cut it's flow in half. Know how I reacted? I did nothing to the list that was effected, but I did call Preacher a jinx. That man cannot be trusted. |catfight|

ponygirl 2007-06-27 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Warrior (Post 354762)
I was chatting with my girlfriend, Preacher, the other day and yadda yadda yadda

damn, I knew we were missing out on something!! now you owe us pics |boobies|

Useless 2007-06-27 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponygirl (Post 354763)
damn, I knew we were missing out on something!! now you owe us pics |boobies|

Sure |thumb

http://www.uselesswarrior.com/i-wish...o-quit-you.jpg

Wanna know why he's smiling? You can't see my hands in that pic. ;)

SheepGuy 2007-06-27 09:12 PM

LOL! Damn I didn't need that visual ;)
To be a little clearer though I'm not shitting myself, I'm overdue to check my links anyways and if someone wants to drop me because google catches a cold or whatever, and doesn't let me know about it, well, I suppose I should be paying attention ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Warrior (Post 354767)
Sure |thumb

http://www.uselesswarrior.com/i-wish...o-quit-you.jpg

Wanna know why he's smiling? You can't see my hands in that pic. ;)

Useless 2007-06-27 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheepGuy (Post 354770)
To be a little clearer though I'm not shitting myself, I'm overdue to check my links anyways and if someone wants to drop me because google catches a cold or whatever, and doesn't let me know about it, well, I suppose I should be paying attention ;)

I certainly wasn't referring to you, Sheepy. I too occasionally check my link trades to see if my link has been dropped or if the site even exists anymore. The rarity of my link checks is why I avoid those A-B-C link trades. By the time I get around to checking, I can't remember where my link is from or who even owns the site I'm linking to. I'll guarantee I've dropped a couple those. :D

spacemanspiff 2007-06-27 09:54 PM

Quote:

If I owned a LOR
We wouldn't be here, now would we?

Useless 2007-06-27 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspiff (Post 354776)

Well, I wouldn't be, that's for damn sure. |thumb

Preacher 2007-06-27 11:43 PM

Holy jigga, this is how that picture surfaces?!?!

Now everyone knows why I'll be sad that Useless will not be in Vegas to caress my shaved coin purse.

That being said, there is no point in checking your hardlinks just yet. It seems to be the popular opinion that the Linklist biz is dead, so you can just keep an eye on this forum and remove them when you see their demise threads. |thumb

Halfdeck 2007-06-28 12:55 AM

Now people are scared to keep their trades up?

Sites link to each other all the time. The key is to either do it naturally or make it look natural.

Dropping links without notifying the other guy is lame.

I have a fake link pointing to a site that's ranking 9th now for "search engine optimization." It was 13th a couple of weeks ago and steadily moving up. Google is still full of holes just got to up our game a little and stop linking like its still 2005.

SheepGuy 2007-06-28 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Warrior (Post 354772)
I certainly wasn't referring to you, Sheepy. I too occasionally check my link trades to see if my link has been dropped or if the site even exists anymore. The rarity of my link checks is why I avoid those A-B-C link trades. By the time I get around to checking, I can't remember where my link is from or who even owns the site I'm linking to. I'll guarantee I've dropped a couple those. :D

I know that buddy ;) I kind of wish I didn't do so many ABC's myself because it's only when I hear about the panic button being pushed that I even think about checking my links, otherwise I just roll with it. I used to write shit down, but the ole girl keeps cleaning my desk for some reason, toxic waste or some such.
Makes it damn hard to stay organised with a clean desk |banghead|

tigermom 2007-06-28 04:49 AM

It's not just between LL's for sure. It's plain cheating, IMO, to drop a link without notifying your link partner. Looks like we have no choice but to run all link trades through link checkers software these days :(

Greenguy 2007-06-28 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspiff (Post 354776)

But I am here :D

People will think this is easy for me to say because I'm doing a lot better this year, but late last year, I gave up on SE crap. I threw my hands in the air & decided that I could no longer consume myself with doing this & that & the other & wondering if this change helped or hindered me. I just gave up. A couple of people can back me on this (Bill, DDave, Linkster, etc)

2 months later, my listings came back.

Now, of course I'm happy about the listings, but 16 months of no listings taught me that I could survive.

Moral of the story? Don't let all this consume you so that your work & mental health suffer. Do what you can to put your sites in the best position for listings, but don't go nuts if they don't come or you get dropped.

Fonz 2007-06-28 09:58 AM

16 months you, say, I'm up to 12, so another 4 to go :)

Bobc01 2007-06-28 10:16 AM

What were reasons for the dropped listings or is it just one of those things?
SE work seems to be like playing with fire and i found out years ago when i made changes to a site and saw my SE traffic die a death literally over night.

My SE traffic is growing daily at the moment which scares me to make any more changes.

ronnie 2007-06-28 10:24 AM

I think the problem is, most sites don't have the extra big traffic or the massive good linkbacks the big sites have, with which they can use to survive, so it is easy to panic. When your making "descent" cash, a drop can make a pretty big difference.

I didn't mean to start this thread to start a panic or say there was a panic going on. Just more and more people "talking" about linking being the problem. I did get e-mails from people letting me know, which is the way to do it, they know who they are..:)

But I also found some that didn't say a word. Just more a reminder, it's best to let people know before you drop their links.

Greenguy 2007-06-28 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobc01 (Post 354880)
What were reasons for the dropped listings or is it just one of those things?...

No one knows for sure, but I can give you a list of about 100 guesses :D

That also means that there's about 100 reasons why things changed, but I know in my heart that my listings came back because I added a Tan Lines category |thumb

DangerDave 2007-06-28 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 354948)
I know in my heart that my listings came back because I added a Tan Lines category |thumb

That was the theory that proved the point for me :D

DD

tosbourn 2007-07-02 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie (Post 354734)

Or post on the board.

I made a small rant about this recently on a blog of mine - people just stopping link trades with no communication what so ever, it completely sucks.