Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Link Lists & Getting Listed (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A Much Needed Update To My Site Has Been Completed (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=46877)

Preacher 2008-05-04 12:19 AM

A Much Needed Update To My Site Has Been Completed

After a lot of work, I've finally finished (95% of it anyways) the re-design of This Depraved World.

No new rules or anything, I just made my recip request more ambiguous but the old recips are fine.

What I'm really worried about is something being broken. I've tested the Hell out of it, but should you find anything broken, please let me know so that I can correct it. I've been checking and double checking, but I'm tired and it's late so if you spot something I've missed I'd appreciate a heads up.

The new submit form has been running for a couple of days and I haven't heard a peep so my guess is that this shouldn't really impact submitters much (fingers crossed). I plan on making the submit area prettier, but that's low on the list of things to do.

BTW, I already know I have no premium sites listed in the Weird Shit sections, I guess I'll be adding some tranny sites tomorrow. |goodnight

Simon 2008-05-04 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks great in Firefox :)
...but I'm seeing the layout break up in Safari on the Mac. Not sure what's causing it, but I'm attaching a screenshot to show you the top of the page so you can see how the center column isn't there and then I'm including a link to a second shot showing the full page (too big to attach).

http://82.51.162.60/safaritest/1209899418-full.jpg

If that jpg is gone by now, you can generate a new one at http://www.browsrcamp.com/

I made it using the 1024 wide setting on that site. You probably already know that it doesn't fit completely in that width.

HTH

Lemmy 2008-05-04 07:37 AM

Looks very nice in both FF and IE, but I see the same breakup as Simon with Safari on a PC (probably not many surfers using that combination though).

The Bookmark This Site link doesn't seem to work in FF and Safari.

I submitted a site yesterday and I see it's listed so I guess the submit form is working OK.

Very nice job, I love the color coding of the different sections.

Cleo 2008-05-04 07:39 AM

Looks nice but same problem in Safari.

I don't think the bookmark link on any site ever works in anything but Windows IE.

JackDaniel's 2008-05-04 08:43 AM

Looks really great |thumb

docholly 2008-05-04 12:57 PM

LMAO.. i love the Vegas recap!! |boobies|

Preacher 2008-05-04 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 400386)
Looks great in Firefox :)
...but I'm seeing the layout break up in Safari on the Mac....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleo (Post 400388)
I don't think the bookmark link on any site ever works in anything but Windows IE.

Thanks for taking a look everyone. I made sure the site worked in FireFox, but I didn't check it out in Safari. To be honest I know nothing about how Safari renders pages so I guess I'll do some google searching to determine why it's creating larger column widths (I thinks that is the problem at least).

As for the bookmark, I noticed my old bookmark script no longer worked in IE7, so I searched around and tested out a handful of javascript bookmarking scripts that were supposed to work in both IE & FF but all of them failed to work as they were supposed to. Eventually I took the lazy way out and just opted for a script that works in IE. It's a stop-gap method I'll use until I can find a better script.

papagmp 2008-05-04 02:36 PM

Looks nice in FF and IE on my machine - I'll try the submit form today.

Greenguy 2008-05-04 09:58 PM

I'd just like to say that I REALLY like the changing of colors from category to category - fucking brilliant |thumb

(and I do hope that's is a new feature & not my brain cell count dropping further & further)

Toby 2008-05-04 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleo (Post 400388)
Looks nice but same problem in Safari.

Mostly due to that very issue I've switched to using a social bookmark link on my sites instead, specifically addthis.com

ronnie 2008-05-05 07:15 AM

Looking real good..:)

Tekster 2008-05-05 08:56 AM

Awesome job. |thumb I like the changing colors a lot

LeRoy 2008-05-05 09:32 AM

Looks great preacher . I like the blog. Ive linked it in a few places. I think I need to link it more. Some good posts there :)

ArtWilliams 2008-05-05 10:10 AM

The main body appears at the bottom on my X41 Thinkpad (1024x768) running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and Firefox 3 beta.

Preacher 2008-05-05 10:50 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys. Hit the wrong button, I'll reply with quotes in the next post. |banghead|

Preacher 2008-05-05 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 400473)
I'd just like to say that I REALLY like the changing of colors from category to category - fucking brilliant |thumb

(and I do hope that's is a new feature & not my brain cell count dropping further & further)

No it's new, thanks! :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 400474)
Mostly due to that very issue I've switched to using a social bookmark link on my sites instead, specifically addthis.com

I had addthis on my blog before I integrated it, I may go back to it but I was trying to keep the header links small and clean. Chances are if I do go back to it I'd add the button to my right column instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwilliams (Post 400521)
The main body appears at the bottom on my X41 Thinkpad (1024x768) running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and Firefox 3 beta.

Ack, another OS and browser. I specifically tried to keep this design clean without any browser tricks that I have used before. It's a simple 3 column design with floats...it's got to be how different browsers are rendering the column widths. I'll have to put in some research on these other OS/browser combinations. :(

HowlingWulf 2008-05-05 11:22 AM

Are you going to hardlink to the freesites or keep the go.php links?

bluebrit 2008-05-05 02:59 PM

Nice work Preacher. I like the new layout a lot. WTG |thumb

Preacher 2008-05-05 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowlingWulf (Post 400546)
Are you going to hardlink to the freesites or keep the go.php links?

Well my pages are actually generated dynamically, unlike other lists that create a page of static links daily, so it really wouldn't be a "hardlink" but I know what you mean.

I've been tempted to on several occasions to change the outbound links so that they do not go through the script, my other linklist is set up that way so that I can see and test the difference bewteen the two. From what I can tell there isn't any noticable difference.

Leaving the links to go out through my script allows me to do click counts so I can report popularity of the links. It's not critical but just another tool.

I'm not completely opposed to the idea, it would just some convincing for me to lose the site stats for the submitters, the surfers and myself -- I like to see how traffic is flowing through categorized sites as well.