Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mobile / Cell Phones (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=51324)

urb 2009-02-05 05:14 PM

Mobile / Cell Phones

I got a phone for Christmas, but I'm worried about carrying it about. They put a little warning leaflet in the box about radiation emissions, which reads more like a disclaimer to me.

I know, I know that the scientists are claiming that these phones are safe, but why are they putting in little leaflets about SAR Radio waves??

It's like the 1920's when they thought smoking was safe. :(

DangerDave 2009-02-05 06:44 PM

The world currently runs on fear and litigation Urb...

There is no know danger from mobile phones.. and the studies done recently have re-affirmed this..

As long as it is not taped to your head 23 hours a day... there is no danger..

DD

Zel II 2009-02-05 08:49 PM

Well, probably they put these things in, so in case anything ever goes wrong they can say "we warned you".
Basically, its just microwaves, same stuff that powers your microwave oven, just several thousand times less powerful. As guys from Brainiac tested - even a 100 mobiles ringing at same time are not enough to cook an egg.
So... As Dave pointed out - if you don't have it strapped to your ear, and you are not talking all the time - its perfectly ok.

So, bottom line is - as long as you use it normally, you have nothing to really worry about. Breathing air in a large city probably does more harm.

SirMoby 2009-02-06 12:32 AM

Just don't put it in your pocket close to your balls and never keep it close to your head either. You should be fine

Cleo 2009-02-06 07:56 AM

So far all the research has shown that modern phones don't transmit with enough power to cause any problems but the first phones, like the Motorola brick phone transmitted with 3 watts of power and actually would make your skin warm if you held the antenna near your skin.

Also the newer phones have moved the antenna to the bottom of the phone so that it isn't so close to your brain.

If you are really worried about it get yourself either a corded or cordless headset so that you aren't holding the phone so close to your head.

Greenguy 2009-02-06 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerDave (Post 439783)
...As long as it is not taped to your head 23 hours a day... there is no danger..

But 24 hours.....|shocking|

SirMoby 2009-02-06 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerDave (Post 439783)
As long as it is not taped to your head 23 hours a day... there is no danger..

Taping really isn't that much of a concern.

Using staples or nails to attach it to your head is probably not a good idea.

Cleo 2009-02-06 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about rubber bands?

SirMoby 2009-02-06 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleo (Post 439902)
How about rubber bands?

Rubber bands, condoms, balloons and even leather belts are fine.

It's just using metal to penetrate the skull which might allow to pick up phone calls from other cell phones users close by that seems a bit harsh.

Cleo 2009-02-06 11:30 AM

Nice to know that crazy gluing your cell phone to your head would be safe.

Or having a cell phone implanted into your mouth would also be safe.