View Single Post
Old 2015-05-25, 10:53 AM   #2
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
I'm uploading content to the members area and finalizing the tour design for what will be the new incarnation of OWAMW.

The members area uses the Smarty template engine, which is great because it can cache every page to speed up delivery. However, the original programmers didn't envision a site with 1,000 photo sets, so the pagination of the gallery pages was limited to Galleries Home, Previous Page, and Next Page. So, if you wanted to get from the first page of galleries, (each with 20 thumbs), to the last page, you'd have to click Next Page 49 times. I installed and dicked with the SmartyPaginate plugin to solve that issue, but it didn't get along with the custom plugin that creates the thumb tables. I scrapped the plugin and grabbed some normal PHP pagination code, beat up it up, and now pagination works wonderfully.

Over a week ago, I decided to re-encode all of the older movies to mp4 format. During testing, I found that I was having major unacceptable cross-browser issues. Chrome would play them beautifully, but didn't play the audio. Firefox played most of them as desired, but IE had mime type issues and pretty much told me to go fuck myself. Therefore, I am falling back to their original formats. It sucks because I know that certain mime types won't play on phones and do have browser issues. But it's better than having everything play on specific devices and not at all on others. All of the new movies are H.264 mp4's, that play superbly in my HTML5 player, so future updates should work great for everyone.

Very, very soon, I'll be able get the .htaccess and .htpasswd files from Ramster and then point the domain name to my server. Yay!