View Single Post
Old 2012-03-20, 02:35 PM   #12
xxxlaw
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

1. There are huge areas of South Texas - especially the enclave at Brownsville, where the people have never learned English, and the families have been US Citizens since Texas joined the Union. Those families have lived here speaking Spanish since long before the wave of immigration from Europe that brought here the ancestors of those who scream so loudly about English. Ditto for pockets of French speaking creoles in Louisiana.
2. My own grandmother came here from Sicily in 1899. She was a US Citizen by virtue of laws that then existed, making the wife and children of a US Citizen also citizens by right. She never learned English. She never learned to read or write, because school was not an option for girls in Sicily in the Nineteenth Century. I went along when she used to vote and was in the booth with her and my Mother, who helped her vote. She was quite proud to be a US citizen.
3. No law has ever required the speaking of English as a requirement of citizenship. My own Children were US Citizens long before they learned to speak any language.