View Single Post
Old 2004-05-30, 07:57 PM   #5
Opti
I Didn't Do It

Send a message via ICQ to Opti
Pat,

A few years ago I wanted to get more people submitting to my autorankpro toplist so I setup my linksite submit page so every site submitted automatically created a toplist account for their site as well.. then I sent the code to each webmaster in the approval emails and said "link this for extra traffic".

I did that for about a year or 18 months, in about 2000/2001 I think, it doesnt take any clicks to be listed so I regularly deleted any sites that didnt send a click in 90 days to try and only keep sites that actually had linked back listed.

A couple of people starting trying to cheat it and I found too many people started using the toplist code instead of the proper recip link so I closed it to any new sites in about 02 or 03.... but it still generates about 1000 clicks day and has almost 2000 active sites in the db with at least 100 sending more than 1 hit in any 24 hours period.. I havent deleted any sites in ages so there is likely some that are no longer up.. but there would have to be 1500 good ones at least.

For mine.. thats a fairly succesful sounding toplist.. and an "easier" way to get people using it..... but the fact is it wouldn't be there if it did require work now.. as I dont see the value of the traffic offsets the issues caused by cheats and the non-se friendly nature of the linking codes in many cases.

I am actually re-working it totally right now and have been pondering the best way to keep using it for weeks. Here's 2 issues you may not have thought of and should take into account imho.

- Call it a toplist and expect people to try and cheat it! Try and present it in a "non-toplist" style to webmasters to minimize this.

- If you are going to issue people with special linking codes ask someone using the Norton adblocker to check if the linkcodes work... enough people have this stupid utility enabled by default to make it a significant problem now. (Norton removes all text links in a page with my version of autorank pro link codes)

Good luck with it!
Opti is offline   Reply With Quote