View Single Post
Old 2004-11-09, 12:55 PM   #1
zel
If something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak English

Send a message via ICQ to zel
Godaddy giving Christmas presents for cheaters?

This was just in my email from support@godaddy.com

Dear Valued Go Daddy Customer,

Effective November 12, 2004, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) will
institute a new transfer policy for all accredited domain name service providers.

The previous ICANN policy allowed us to deny requests to transfer your domain names to another
registrar unless you explicitly confirmed to us your intent to transfer. The new ICANN policy
removes that protection. Starting November 12, when we receive a request to transfer your domain
name to a new registrar, we will still attempt to contact you to confirm that you authorized the
request. However, if you do not respond, or are not able to respond within 5 days, your domain name
WILL be transferred.

With this change in mind, we are recommending that all Go Daddy domain customers visit GoDaddy.com
and "lock" their domain name(s). Locking your domain(s) is free and prevents unauthorized changes
to contacts and name servers. Most importantly, it prevents the domain name from being transferred
to another registrar without your knowledge. You may lock or unlock your domain at any time.

Well, im scratching my head and my ass - this looks like a gift from the gods to domain stealers!
Now, if my domain is NOT locked( and i can bet my hat on that there are many webmasters who dont read this board and are not even aware that domains get hijacked) - ANYONE can order them to transfer domain to any other registrar, in fact jacking it?

After all the negative feedback i would think that Godaddy take some measures agaist it, now they are doing the opposite...oh well, not them exactly, its the ICANN, but anyways....this seems just awkward to me, and i expect many more domains hijacked soon... As we dont have enough problems with scammers already.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote