View Single Post
Old 2014-09-29, 05:58 PM   #16
CD Smith
The one and only at your service

Send a message via ICQ to CD Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi View Post
I don't have a problem with this. But remember, one language means one spelling, so if it is not a different language then it is the same language written by morons!!!!!

You wanna tell your southern neighbours that, or shall I?
Knock yourself out. But you're wrong, one language does not mean one spelling.

Color -- US variant.
Colour -- UK/Canadian spelling.

Same language, same word with same meaning, two different spellings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi View Post
This is not entirely true. British, Australian, and South African movies are sometimes dubbed or subtitled when released in the USA because the Americans cannot understand them in their "native" language.
That is due to accents being difficult to understand for some, not language.

Around the time I graduated high school I met a girl whose family was Scottish. They all spoke English, all were speaking the same language as me barring a few Scottish colloquialisms, but her mothers' accent was so thick that at first I couldn't understand her fully. I'd get maybe one out of every three or four words and that was it.

It took me a good half a year of being around them in order to get used to her accent.

Same language, just pronounced differently. Just like the technical help person on the phone speaking to you from India, or SE Asia, etc. They're speaking English but with a heavy enough accent it can seem as if it's another language. But it isn't.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote