View Single Post
Old 2010-06-25, 01:33 AM   #9
tickler
If there is nobody out there, that's a lot of real estate going to waste!

Here's the summary of the meeting from Dianne Duke and Tom Hymes.
http://news.avn.com/articles/Brussel...ay-401239.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Duke
“We couldn't find anybody in our industry who knew any of those people. Not only that, we had a very difficult time finding those names on the Internet at all. The only time that showed up were in the ICANN registry under the—I mean, in the ICANN notes under the public comment periods. And of those we did find —14—,two were adult registries, one was an advertising company, five were just mainstream registries, one was a religious organization*—and as anybody who has looked at the public comment period knows, there were a lot of comments from the religious organizations—two were software companies and one was a web service.
When I was emailing with them the other day, they 1/2 expected this result due to the need to follow procedural items, but also felt that the required review under scrutiny would undermine ICM on the sponsored community item. Also ICMs business plan also be questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jeffrey - general counsel
Specifically, the board will direct ICANN staff to fast-track a reassessment of the sponsored criteria, based on whether the application is “still current” and also to assess whether “conditions have changed” since the application was first submitted during the 2004 sTLD round. The language used by the general counsel suggested that all three prongs of the required application criteria (technical, financial and sponsorship) will be under review.
And then Dianne sums it up somewhat.
Quote:
“The fat lady isn't singing yet,” she said. “From what I heard today, ICANN is planning on getting advice from GAC (which solidly encouraged ICANN to deny the application in 2007) and to see if ICM’s application still meets the required criteria, including showing broad-based support from the industry (they don't ... never did). If ICANN does indeed provide due diligence and not just lip service, I believe that these are obstacles ICM will not be able to overcome.”

BTW, Grandma how's your new Prime Minister going to work out with the Aussie internet filter?