View Single Post
Old 2005-03-11, 10:47 AM   #19
cd34
a.k.a. Sparky

I wrote a one-off script for a client specifically to address this issue. With GeoLocation, and logs that show that the IP that was used for signup and subsequent accesses are close to the location, we have about a 55% success rate in combatting chargebacks. Typical cardholder response, 'Well, I didn't recognize the charge, I guess it was me -- but I was never told it would rebill'.

We've done everything to make sure the receipts go out, a non 800# is listed in the descriptor, a short domain name is used in the descriptor, emails are answered promptly, customer service is dealt with internally rather than trusting the third party and it has taken one client from getting the black-letter at 6% to just below 1.5% right now. I imagine we'll have them at .9% and off probation soon.

We can pretty easily spot the transactions that are fraud versus legit by looking at various data that tells the client whether it is even worth pursuing. They include a printout, the signup information, the reverse and whois info and fight the ones that are worth fighting.

I can't imagine a 3rd party processor taking the time to do it, but, it has resulted in a pretty nice chunk of money that didn't go back when a surfer decided he didn't want to pay.

Using a pin code, no different than the CVV # which isn't in the magnetic stripe. With phishing techniques, they'll just ask for that piece of info.