View Single Post
Old 2007-12-19, 02:27 AM   #4
NinjaSteve
Trying is the first step towards failure

Nice post. I was curious about the same thing. From my understanding each subdomain is treated like a separate domain name. If your main domain name get penalized your subdomains will be feel it. It's not a good idea to put links on the main domain pointing to any of the subdomains. Is it okay to link subdomains to subdomains? I don't know.

Here's a quote form something I recently read
Quote:
> A main domain which has incurred a penalty can pass that penalty to any of its subdomains or subdirectories regardless of links...

> A subdomain which has incurred a penalty will not pass that penalty to the main domain unless the main domain acknowledges the subdomain with a link. Or, complementarily put:

> A main domain which has not incurred a penalty cannot be affected by penalties placed on any subdomains, unless that main domain links to the penalized subdomain.
I also read that in the future Google plans to treat each subdomain just like any other URL from the domain. This means that a subdomain can have a lower rank on a searched query than it has a few months ago.