View Single Post
Old 2018-01-29, 02:28 PM   #6
Pagan
Perverted Empress

Send a message via ICQ to Pagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenguy View Post
I think I know one of those 🤐
This one is not too bad. Next year is the killer.

Quote:
I remember seeing something where it explained why we vote on Tuesdays. If I remember correctly, it used to be Sundays back in the 1800s because people had to travel great distances to get to their polling place & since they had Saturday's off, they could use that as a travel day. Then the church goers got all uppity about it being on a Sunday, so they moved it to Tuesdays. Why they didn't move it to Saturday when people were obviously off (travel day) is beyond me.
Which makes sense in some respects. It also didn't interfere with market days. Finland is primarily Lutheran, and we do have several church-based holidays that are recognized on the national level, like Epiphany, Ascension Day, and All Saint's Day. Yet, our national election day is on a Sunday. The church doesn't even protest it here. We do have early voting as well, and about 40% of the voters took advantage of it. Saturdays were still pretty much a work day on farms. At least on Sundays, everyone was out going to church (at least here) so stopping by the polling place was just easier. It works for us...