View Single Post
Old 2017-02-28, 10:20 AM   #9
ecchi
Banned

Unhappy Arrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been working on a simple script for ClitPass for weeks. Three lines
Code:
while( $row = $sth->fetchrow_hashref ) {
print "<hr>test $row->{name}  $contents{id} <br>";
}
refused to execute, whatever I tried. In the end I copied an identical bit of code from another program that runs (successfully) on the website. All I had to change was the names of the rows in the database. Still nothing. So I went on fighting with it and puzzling over it. I have spent weeks on this.

Today I decided the best way to find the error was to make a copy of the working script, rename it, change the database name and row names to the ones I was working on and run it. It worked. Then, bit by bit, I deleted the bits I did not need from the old script and tested it after each delete, working on the theory that when it failed to work, the bit I had just deleted was the bit that was making it work.

It never failed!

So now I have two totally IDENTICAL scripts, where one works and the other does not. And I mean IDENTICAL, not only have I compared them character by character, but while trying to make the first work, I copy and pasted from the working script, and while making the working script do the same as the faulty script, I copy and pasted from the faulty script. They are fucking identical, yet one works and the other does not.

The pissy annoying thing is that I have wasted weeks on this. Not only has this delayed ClitPass' submit form, it has put me behind on other jobs too. I am so fucking angry.

ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote