View Single Post
Old 2014-02-27, 05:52 AM   #30
jason@verotel
WHO IS FONZY!?! Don't they teach you anything at school?

Send a message via ICQ to jason@verotel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi View Post
Umm, you do know that cheddar is a British cheese, don't you? It is called cheddar because it was invented in a place in England called Cheddar, and was originally made in the caves of the Cheddar Gorge!

Well it may have "more flavour" than American cheeses, but the reason I originally said "British cheese is better" is that French cheeses have (on the whole) less flavour than French cheeses. And I would defiantly include mature cheddar in that list. I'm guessing your American cheddar is what we call "mild cheddar" which is is a cheaper alternative, that is not aged as long, and so has little taste. In fact I'm guessing, from your comments, most American cheeses are what Europeans would call mild cheeses.

If you took anything English to France and inferred that it was better than, or even as good as, the French version, they will hang you by your balls from a rusty hook. The French tend to hate anyone who is not French on principle, but they reserve a particular, special hatred for the English. This is probably because we have often been at war with them, and usually beat them. Possibly also fuelled by the fact that during the evil period when the larger European countries were colonising (i.e. invading and enslaving) most of the rest of the world, France and England were always trying to be better at it than each other (we beat the French at that too... but we ain't exactly proud about that these days).

OK, so I'm not saying that we don't have some crap cheeses in Britain, we do. We have some truly dreadful cheeses. But the best British cheeses are better than the best French cheeses. Try stilton, mature cheddar, mature double gloucester, marmite cheese, or (referencing another thread on this board) a good wensledale.

|cheese|
Dude you do not have crap cheese in Britain and I certainly did not mean to imply such a thing!!! All the cheese is good. It all makes me feel lovely inside! Some is better than others.

In fact I have to tell you that I am always looking for a British shop in Amsterdam to satisfy my cheese cravings! I love Red Leicester and think it is one of the best cheeses I have ever tasted. I like to eat it raw or sliced on a burger. You are correct that American sharp cheddar would be compared to a mild cheddar over here. I really had no clue about cheddar until leaving the US. Most of the cheeses in the US are young cheese with little to no flavor. Even the aged or what they call "sharp" is not that tasty when compared to some of the stuff you get over on this side of the pond.
jason@verotel is offline   Reply With Quote