Thread: Domain hijacked
View Single Post
Old 2005-01-15, 08:33 PM   #20
GeorgeTH
Don't let a programmer design your front-end pages!

Re: hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by neticule
I was a bit stupid back then and used the same password for the sponsor as i used at the registrar, the day after i signed up for this sponsor all my domains were gone.

use different passwords for every place!! or atleast a crazy password for the registrar.
I made the same mistake back in the 'old days' (1999): using a similar password on all sites, and then I fell for this guy posing as a Belgium (he was Russian - have his address, but what for?), who showed interest in buying one of my sites... I gave him access to my stats (= my password), and with variations of that he hacked my email first, domain registrations second, the majority of my sponsors soon after... And he started all that on Christmas Eve - well planned! It was a hell of a christmas, but 2 days before New Years I had almost everything back, thanks to a few good friends. In late January the Russian bastard sent me an email congratulating me on how well I had handled it...

I tought me the hard way to keep passwords secure, and certainly have really difficult ones for domain registration and hosting!