View Single Post
Old 2004-07-14, 04:47 PM   #116
Dravyk
Lord help me, I'm just not that bright

Thought I'd chime in here with some thoughts and comments.

First, having looked at various threads on various boards about this same topic, I do have to hand it to everyone here at GG&J, that this has been the best discusssion I've seen thus far on the subject.

I also wanna give a big hand to Joe, as I believe this is (so far) the only posting I've seen anywhere from a legal professional.

I guess the most unanswered question though is: What should we do? And I think the reason there are no clear cut answers, is because there won't be any until someone gets prosecuted and the law gets challenged and a court makes a decision. (Is this sad thinking the true answer here? Anyone?)

I think in terms of prevention there are very limited things we can do right now, because to follow the (proposed) law to the full extent that a liberal reading of it would suggest is, basically, an impossibility. To get every record from every content provider (highly improbable), and then to some how attach each image to an URL and to a record is most definitely impossible.

And evern were it actually fully and totally possible, then the effort, time and money would so outrageously great that everyone closing shop would be a more desirable option. (Which, IMHO, is what Aschhead wants in the first place.) So again, what DO we do? How can people follow a rule that requires an impossible task? Now that's what I'd like to hear a legal opinion on.
Dravyk is offline   Reply With Quote