View Single Post
Old 2004-02-18, 06:09 PM   #22
creamxtreme
WHO IS FONZY!?! Don't they teach you anything at school?

Send a message via AIM to creamxtreme
Revshare vs Paid Host

It went from who accepts revshare to Revshare vs. Paid Hosting.

Okay, I guess we are allowed to venture off a little here. But just to keep it in a little perspective for WolfPack, there are many LL owners who do accept Revshare Hosted Sites. I hope whoever they are they will join in here and say so, for your sake.

Urb I think all of us, no matter what we have paid of free host is responsible for a 404 page occasionally. Especially if you are working on your site and you blow some scripts somewhere unintentionally. I also believe that with any site that sends out a spider/link checker, it is built into the scripts to continue to check for 404 or redirects for at least a 72 hour period.

Any longer than this, believe me you start sweating it out. As I did when changing hosts, the old htaccess hotlinking worked fine on the previous host, but when I changed hosts, it took three weeks to figure out the problem.

Redirecting and 404'ing people like crazy. Was anyone really at fault - not really - other than the screwballs who put together different versions of the same server scripts.

I understand how you feel GreenGuy about someone else knowing what you make. On another board, I started a thread about Persian Kitty when she first started out. Here her income per month was divulged in an article.

Later I said that she may be a bit more clever to not divulge her earnings these days. Yet, another webmaster came in and said that there was a possibility that her company is now Publicly Traded - here the members (stock owners) are told monthly quarterly or whatever how much is made there.

Is this so different, when it comes to Shared Hosting Packages. That incomes be divulged? If anyone of us becomes a publicly traded company, there is no way we could not hide this value.

Although, I do agree that in many instances, paid hosting is the better alternative. Does it necessarily have to be the "only" alternative? As Maestro points out a good point, a cheater is easily dealt with directly, as opposed to banning the entire IP address he/she may have come from.

Our traffic values are constantly monitored. I even get crap from some service that I never asked to look at my site telling me how long it was down. Similarly, sites like Sextracker, Sexlist and many other paid or free tracking services want to know how many people visit us per day per hour of the day etc.

Using scientifically developed mathematical equations, these companies and even the IRS can come up with some form of other generated income figures that are on the button or very close to what we each make per month.

Let's cut to the chase, if Revsharehosting offered an affiliate payment service, or sponsorship program where many LL owners got paid for promoting them, (which they do), would so many LL owners be against them then?

My LL is housed on a paid server. My submission sites are housed with Revshare. I get many wonderful LL owners to accept my submissions without fail. I do not see any problem with you WolfPack getting the same warm welcome from LL owners who do accept (for the sake of argument) this free hosted service.

Incidentally, for those of you who are new here or anywhere in the adult industry, my submission sites are a wonderful compliment to my LL. So I support the use of Revshare for if not any other reason but to make my own FS's and submit them to myself.

If that makes any sense?

Nick