View Single Post
Old 2005-11-06, 03:37 PM   #82
sundiver
WHO IS FONZY!?! Don't they teach you anything at school?

Send a message via ICQ to sundiver Send a message via AIM to sundiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Okay... well, I work in the bdsm niche just a little. So I do understand that part.

Yahook, I quoted your post but the rest of this isn't really directed at you specifically. It's for anyone who doesn't see that this is a very simple thing here.

What I don't understand here is that:

(i) some people seem to be warning others that if they use the wrong hosting they won't be listed on some links lists; and
(ii) other people seem to be trying to talk about whether banning hosting companies is a good idea, and if there's some way to provide a list of all the banned hosting companies.

Okay, I get the first group, they're sparing a few valuable minutes to spread the word that you need to be very careful these days about what neighborhood your sites are in. So if someone accidentally got in with the wrong crowd they can move instead of being punished like the rest who choose to live there.

But the second part of the discussion just baffles me. It's not anyone else's problem that some hosting companies allow spammers, scammers, bot operators, illegal content, and all sorts of other problems on their servers. There are too many good hosting companies to worry about posting lists of the bad ones.

All someone needs to do, if they want to be listed by the bigger/better link lists, is two things:

1. Get hosted by a reputable hosting company that's known for taking a hard line against that crap.

2. Most important... don't actually be a spammer, scammer, or other kind of cheating fuck.

Seriously, all the talk about improving the system is off the track. If it would be of benefit to link list owners to do it they would do it. It's not to their benefit to rearrange things the other way. Plus, it would benefit the scumbags who try to abuse the system, so it's not likely to get changed.

To any webmasters here who just want to get listed, and who aren't cheaters already, just move to reputable hosting and forget about this problem.

Simon

(didn't we cover all this in yesterday's OTB?)
thanks for detailed reply. =)

just wanna add a few things to previous posts made by Yahook, Scooter and me.

1) nobody clearly stated what are you fighting against. I do understand your position when you talk about cp or other illegal shit. yes. hosting company must prevent such kind of activity. but when you're are talking about cheaters who redirect traffic from freesites in example, I do not understand, how can hosting company prevent this. they do not do anything illegal, right? the reason why I'd want to clear this up is that I know some hosting companies which are banned, but they never hosted any illegal stuff. so we are coming to a conclusion: poster should be hosted with wellknown company like isprime, webair or something like that. I believe this is stupid. if I know some good and honest hosting provider, whose pricing policy is more attractive for me than isprime's one I think I can use it. you think I can't, because you don't know this hosting provider (you don't know who are this guys so they are possible cheaters. that's a normal psychological reaction). that's what is usually called 'conflict of interests'. everybody should make his or her own choice - would they rather host their sites with hosting company they like or submit this sites to link lists which do not like this hosting company. business is always finding a compromise. but. business has at least two sides. in our situation those sides are posters and owners. the only reason for this discussion is that some link list owners play unfair. you want poster to everything while you do nothing. at least you could send a one-time banning notification. cheaters won't read it, for a honest poster it can be useful. you want us to respect your work, and we do so. the only thing we want from you is to show some respect to our work. that's first.

2) I believe banning for own nameservers is stupid. 'bogus whois hosting'. lol. do not give access to the shared blacklist to those idiots who do not know what is dedicated server. it wouldn't be a problem, but it is, because some owners just ignore appeals.

3) all the hosts mentioned in this topic are Russian hosting providers. in fact almost all Russian hosting providers are banned. (I mean Russian hosting providers who allow adult material) that makes link list posting for Russian newbie* webmasters really hard and even impossible**. I know that's not your problem I'm just trying to explain why we are worrying about this so much***.

* most experienced Russian webmasters have epassporte account or credit card, so they are able to get a hosting by foreign company. but actually even for an experienced webmaster this is really incovinient due to different reasons. once again I want to point out, that not all of the banned Russian hosting providers host any kind of cheaters or illegal stuff. some of them are banned just because they are not 'known and reputated' for american webmasters.
** only when talking about link lists which ban hosting providers.
*** especially for Surfn. non of the webmasters posted in this topic are newbies.