View Single Post
Old 2005-11-06, 12:27 PM   #78
Simon
That which does not kill us, will try, try again.

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahook
As for rape - there is difference between bsdm and rape - if you don't work in this niche you don't understand it. Rape is illegal, bdms is not.
Okay... well, I work in the bdsm niche just a little. So I do understand that part.

Yahook, I quoted your post but the rest of this isn't really directed at you specifically. It's for anyone who doesn't see that this is a very simple thing here.

What I don't understand here is that:

(i) some people seem to be warning others that if they use the wrong hosting they won't be listed on some links lists; and
(ii) other people seem to be trying to talk about whether banning hosting companies is a good idea, and if there's some way to provide a list of all the banned hosting companies.

Okay, I get the first group, they're sparing a few valuable minutes to spread the word that you need to be very careful these days about what neighborhood your sites are in. So if someone accidentally got in with the wrong crowd they can move instead of being punished like the rest who choose to live there.

But the second part of the discussion just baffles me. It's not anyone else's problem that some hosting companies allow spammers, scammers, bot operators, illegal content, and all sorts of other problems on their servers. There are too many good hosting companies to worry about posting lists of the bad ones.

All someone needs to do, if they want to be listed by the bigger/better link lists, is two things:

1. Get hosted by a reputable hosting company that's known for taking a hard line against that crap.

2. Most important... don't actually be a spammer, scammer, or other kind of cheating fuck.

Seriously, all the talk about improving the system is off the track. If it would be of benefit to link list owners to do it they would do it. It's not to their benefit to rearrange things the other way. Plus, it would benefit the scumbags who try to abuse the system, so it's not likely to get changed.

To any webmasters here who just want to get listed, and who aren't cheaters already, just move to reputable hosting and forget about this problem.

Simon

(didn't we cover all this in yesterday's OTB?)