View Single Post
Old 2016-05-08, 10:41 AM   #14
Pagan
Perverted Empress

Send a message via ICQ to Pagan
PC's old sites are reading the data from the location he gave them when he set the application up to begin with. All DB-driven apps do this, including WordPress, TGPx, and so very many others. For example, my host does not even give FTP access to the SQL database, nor can I even see it from the file manager on the control panel. Only a very special few ever get to see those files because they are so vital. BUT... magically, if I go into myPHP, there they all are -- all 9 databases. Which one goes to which? I will never ever tell. For example, TGPx has an install.php file that collects this info when you first install it, but it tells you to delete it after it has done its work. WordPress does much the same thing.

What you have going on here is someone saying, *I live at 123 Main Street" but not showing you what city, area, postal code, or anything else. There is a document out there that has this information for you. Likewise, computers have maps to where all the files are kept. Servers have to know where your files are located, just like following any other pathway for any type of file. Because of the type of file, you also need to use the correct server app to see it from your control panel. The little screenshot above is from MyPhp. I see the same list but presented a little different if I go into MySQL.

If it is php, try looking for a config.php or install.php. There is a call out or a reference to that database somewhere. While everyone's servers are different, this is pretty much a constant and has been for a good number of years. SQL databases are not downloadble via FTP. You can export them to a file and then download that file but you are not downloading the actual database. Far different world from HTML, believe me.