View Single Post
Old 2014-02-24, 11:37 AM   #33
Simon
That which does not kill us, will try, try again.

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
I've been busy but I didn't forget you'd asked about a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by housekeeper View Post
... One is a solo t-girl fan / content presentation / blog, and I did that as a precursor to potentially opening a pay site further down the road. ... When we started she had 5,000 twitter followers and quickly gained an additional 1,000 because of the site ... The traffic soared as soon as she started to promote the posts in her tweets... The downside is it's not showing up anywhere on G, now I realize it takes some time, but I would like to think after a month page 4 might show some results.
When you say it's not showing up anywhere on G, do you mean it's not showing up even when you search for the site by domain name, or if you do a search using site:domainname.com ...or do you mean that the site's not ranking on the keywords/phrases that you're targeting? Did the site ever appear in the SERPs and then disappear, or has it just never appeared at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by housekeeper
My other newest site is a Mature (Cougar / Swinger / MILF) blog in a magazine style format with promotion towards scenes, sites, and specific performers. I'm new to promoting outside of Transsexual, so I'm going to put this category in a niche specific. It's only a couple weeks old, and not getting any traffic, reasons would be, haven't set up the social media accounts associated with it yet, and of course G ain't having it, and given it's infancy, I simply haven't put it out there yet.
Google's pretty good at finding sites and indexing them long before the owner is ready to go live with them. So when you say they're not having it, I have to ask whether that means it's impossible to find in the SERPs or just that it's buried in last place somewhere?

Quote:
I've always been mindful about keyword 'stuffing' and not doing it, but have always had success with alt="" tags and ranking for keyword primarily through outbound links and ping backs, etc. Now, my questions are towards set up like, a/ are custom permalinks ill advised? I'm actually using a combination of sponsor embeds and plugin short codes, and of course stock sponsor links, In most cases I always use short name links. I've also taken on more CCBill sponsors (I'm not so trusting of nats these days), so I'm not certain how G is viewing those, but guessing they dismissed that long ago.

So any thoughts with respect to any of that would be welcomed, as well as some of the approach others are taking.
A lot of on-site SEO is a complete waste of time here in the 14th year of the 21st Century. But let's address some of your questions anyway...

• Custom permalinks - are you using WordPress' default "ugly" URLs which contain /?p=N where N is the post number? If so, then you can probably get a small benefit from using WP's mod_rewrite method to create "pretty permalinks" where the name of the post is included in the URL.

There's some planning to do when choosing how to structure your custom URLs. There are various built-in options you choose or you customize the structure (which is what I suggest). Rather than going into why you'd choose one URL structure over another, my guess is that you'll probably want to use either just the /%postname%/ or the /%category%/%postname%/ structure.

Telling you which structure to choose, or even whether something different is more appropriate, would require me knowing more about how you're planning to use categories and tags on your sites.

• Keyword stuffing - I hope there are lots of people still doing this. The more who do that, the better for the rest of us.

• ALT attribute of the IMG tag - Keep in mind that the text should be related to the image, and preferably a short description of the image. Ideally something that would help someone using a screen reader. Any other use will eventually hurt you.

TITLE attribute of the IMG tag - This is a global attribute which can be added to any element/tag. HTML specs say you can use this for "extra" information about that element. So for an image you can use this to describe it in terms that are "semantically similar" to your prime keywords/phrases, the words in your ALT text, and the words in your post's title.

• Stock Sponsor Links - All of your outbound links should point to an address on your own site (unless you have submitters or advertisers who require direct links). You can use PHP, htaccess, or various plugins to manage this, as you probably know since you mentioned using "short name" links.

• Outbound Links / Pingbacks / etc - Unless you're using these in a big way to rank for keywords, good luck to any of us on being able to rank for competitive keywords. Or being able to keep a good position once those competitors decide to spend a few extra dollars to push you off the page. Every time I see one of the BIG tube groups start a new round of link buying I know I can expect to get moved back at least a page on some SERPs.

I keep hoping to see some other people jump in with what they're seeing happen out there, what kind of things aren't working, maybe even some suggestions.

But I guess all the lazy, selfish, greedy bastards don't like long threads.

(By the way, this does not apply to anyone already in or who gets in before this thread makes it to page 3.)

Quote:
The revolution will not be televised
I was going to say something about how "the medium is the message" McLuhan showed us that it's the very interpellative processes of television itself which serves to negate even the possibility of any truly meaningful revolution, but then I figured with the attention span of the majority of people today, it's more likely they'll just catch the highlights on Vine anyway.