View Single Post
Old 2004-07-01, 09:46 AM   #50
pam
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

People were lulled into a sense of complacency with Ashcroft, Reno, etc never doing any investigations, even though the law, when written, mandated a yearly report to Congress.

I've actually contacted sponsors and asked for their 2257 link and was told by one "we don't give it out to the public". Uhm yeah, that's a sponsor *I* want to promote!

All the people who use a PO Box or MBE/UPS Store-type address may now sit up and think twice.

Having said that, if you are one of those who doesn't want to put their home address as the law requires, for fear of stalkers, why not get 1000 webmasters in the same boat together and protest the new legislation? Explain how putting the address can be detrimental to your physical health due to stalkers. Explain you'd like the option to have your attorney maintain the records rather than the current policy.

You HAVE the option to attempt to do something about it. Instead of just complaining about it, DO something.

And yes, I realize it's very easy for me to sit back and say that since I'm not in that situation. I made that choice 10+ years ago when the law was first thrown at us.

I said this elsewhere and I'll say it again, there is strength in numbers. If ALL of us could get together quickly and put our heads together, we could protest the new proposed law and ask for change to be made. If you can get 1000 webmasters to complain from the small business point of view, it would get noticed.

This won't go away, but wouldn't it be better if we as a group could make it a little easier to swallow?