View Single Post
Old 2017-04-05, 11:58 AM   #5
ecchi
Banned

Knackered today, because I was late back from dialysis. I'm always late back from dialysis (around midnight usually) because I'm on the last shift, but yesterday I was exceptionally late.

To start with they were short staffed (they are always short staffed, but yesterday they were exceptionally short staffed). So when it came to time to take us off the machine, instead of having enough nurses to do us all at once we were having to wait (it takes a while to disconnect a human from a mechanical exsanguinator) and by sod's law, I was last.

Then just as they were getting round to me, one of the other patients began screaming in agony, vomiting everywhere and looking like he was about to faint. And the nurses had to help him, leaving me connected up and pressing the "continue" button every time the machine decided it had waited too long, and started bleeping.

Apparently they had taken too much blood from him and his body could not take the shortage (what a woose, they had only taken two litres from him, they had taken nearly twice that much from me, and my body did not have a problem with that). The result was that I was stuck on the machine until they were sure he was not going to die (treatment appeared to be to make him lie on a bed that had the foot end a lot higher than the head end, so that what little blood he had left ran to his head - probably not a pleasant position to lie in when you are constantly vomiting). So I did not get home until very, very late.

Annoyingly I had an early appointment at the doctor's today (because of my foot) so I could not make up for the late night by lying in. So excuse me if I fall asleep half way through typing this.........

ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote