View Single Post
Old 2014-04-19, 02:39 AM   #4
ecchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless Warrior View Post
I am confessing my ignorance here. I don't understand the mobile market at all. Responsive galleries don't mean anything to me because my sites that I'd be linking from aren't responsive. So, why bother? Should a dinosaur like me spend some time working on this new-fangled hoopla?
When I moved into the area I now live, many years ago, there was a video rental shop just round the corner from me. DVDs were just coming in but he felt that he had no need to spend large amounts of money building up a stock of DVDs, they were expensive, they were in the minority as not many people had DVD players yet, and it would simply cost him money, time, and 50% of his valuable shop space to start renting DVDs as well. So he stuck with video.

Two years after I moved into where I live now, there was NOT a video shop just round the corner anymore. The guy who owned it had lost everything he had invested in the business. And after many years of making good money running his own business, he was back working for someone else at minimum wage.

I have no idea how old you are, but if you are old enough to be considering retiring within a few years then fine, go on ignoring mobile devices, it will take a few years before they are popular enough to become a problem. But if you are young enough to want to still be in business for some time yet, then you need to know about this here new fangled mobile technology.

Then, in a few years time you will need to learn how to market your sites on whatever new technology comes along after that. And a few more years further down the line you will have to learn all about whatever technology that brings... And so on until you either retire or die.

If you don't, you will find yourself selling gas lamp mantles in a world of electric lights.

In your post you use the analogy of calling yourself a "dinosaur". Well how many real dinosaurs do you see roaming the jungle nowadays!?!

(And this is not coming from some young tecno savvy kid, this is coming from an old guy who is currently surrounded by some very old computers, who still moans that he has to use a PC and cannot still work on a Commodore Amiga anymore, and who is constantly wishing it was still the 1970s. But who is sitting at a modern computer, has a selection of tablets, and several cell 'phones that he hates but uses because he accepts that they are the future - an evil future he does not think he will like, but a future he knows he must adapt to in case his doctors manage to find him a new kidney in a few years time and he does not drop dead for want of a working renal system.)
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote